I probably should have said shaving and shaping instead of “getting it shaved,” but yes, fitting a beret involves shaving the fuzz and shaping it to fit your head.
Well, yeah, that’s why. Just as in my pistol shooting example-- the actors in old movies and TV shows had no idea how to properly fake shooting a gun, and the creators of those entertainments didn’t give a crap about it.
Wow, I had no idea there was so much care and feeding involved in beret ownership. I really learn something new every day here. I’d probably go through 3 or 4 berets, accidentally shaving a hole into them, or getting the leather band wet and ruining it, before I got it right.
the exterior shot of the housein Full/er House doesnt match the interior.The exterior has the iconic red door with a window next to it and the corner of the building. The interior has the door, the window and then a whole staircase. Trivial but it bugs me everythime I see it.
Did drill instructors berate recruits for having fuzzy berets? I always wondered about Pat Tillman’s beret- was the droop exaggerated, or did everybody cover their right eye like that?
It’s a bit exaggerated but I’ve seen berets worn in an even more pronounced manner. Compare that to Tommy Lee Jones and Gene Hackman in The Package, Jones is supposed to look like garbage as part of the role but the beret looks all puffy and askew to me. Most berets in movies and TV shows are the wrong size or aren’t shaped beforehand.
I don’t know about drills now but I can imagine them having a beret class at some point during training. I went through Basic in 89 and recruits didn’t have berets then - only the Airborne, SF, and Ranger units had them. Tankers had black berets in the 60s and 70s but that was before my time.
There’s a good reason for the trope where any large amount of money is obscured, (someone writes it down, it becomes inaudible to the audience etc.), because badly calibrated monetary amounts do tend to shake suspension of belief.
The Armenian gangster is throwing yet more of his men at this to just recover HOW MUCH?
Yeah, this kind of thing is so common in movies filmed in SoCal that I hardly notice any more. Maybe I’ll just chuckle wryly while sipping my drink.
We’re in a small townhouse, and I have bookcases on both long walls in the living room. There’s no wall left to put the couch against. Plus, it actually makes the room seem bigger because it’s like an extra space behind the coudh.
What’s the point of wearing a beret that’s covering your entire eye?
With all the preparation involved, they can’t be wearing these things when they are on combat duty, can they? I’m just envisioning soldiers down in the trenches adjusting their hats perfectly while bullets whiz by.
For this, the one that annoys me is when a cop/detective/government agent/whatever puts their index finger on the trigger when they’re pursing the bad guy, or simply handling the gun. With all the professional training they’ve received, they should know better.
But the thing that always takes me out of a movie is when the character on screen is played by a very famous actor. I no longer see them as the character, but the actor. Case in point: I watched the series 1883 recently. Good series. But every time (the character) Shea Brennan was on screen, I didn’t see him as Shea Brennan. I saw him as Sam Elliott. Takes me right out of the show.
This one just hatched from my memory: Regarding non-native English speakers
Sometimes it’s asked of them if they speak English, and they’ll reply with “a little” or somesuch answer. As they speak we can see that although they speak English with a noticeable foreign accent ( Spanish, Italian, German etc ) they seem to posses quite a broad vocabulary and are also notably articulate in their ability to speak abstractly. - BUT - when it comes to small pleasantries their English language skills seem to erode, and so their conversation is peppered with “Si!” or “Per favore”, “Gracias”, “Grazie”, “Guten Morgen”.
To me it’s an obvious heavy handed way of reminding us dolts that the speaker is not a native English speaker or just what the nationality actually is: as if the location, surname, or accent is too subtle for the audience.
Well, in the case of The Pitt, an underfunded inner city hospital, I wouldn’t be surprised if they were still using equipment from the 1990s out of necessity, and if that weren’t an accurate depiction of real life inner city hospitals, maybe.