What takes you out of a TV show or movie that’s actually trivial?

That’s how I look when I drive my Jeeps. They all have about 220 degrees of slop. You gotta keep sawing that wheel if you wanna go anything close to straight!

Later in that same movie one of the Patrolmen uses the front sight of his piece to scratch the side of his head. :laughing:

This and Marie Antoinette are examples of this that I’m familiar with. However, I actually appreciated the usage of present-day pop music as I believe/assume that the two different movies were simply replacing medieval and French revolutionary “pop” music with ours. I believe that it’s worthwhile for younger audiences to see that what we consider “intellectual” or “elite” music was the pop music of the day.

I just had a mind cartoon of a soldier standing in front of the mirror shaving, with lather on his face and on his beret :slightly_smiling_face:

Or where a criminal tells a police officer to drop their weapon, and they do. The officer, that is.

Another is doctors informing a family of a death or serious illness in the parking lot or a crowded hallway, or the doctor sitting by the very sick person’s bedside, waiting for the family to arrive.

How about non-period jewelry or glasses? I remember seeing some western TV show, and the actress was wearing giant hoop earrings, almost down to her shoulders. Don’t think they wore them in that time or place.

Also, pronouncing place names correctly. As a lifelong Midwesterner, it was really obvious to me that nobody from the production crew of “The Tuskegee Airmen” biopic called the Ottumwa, Iowa chamber of commerce, to find out how the town’s name was pronounced.

Mine is really trivial.

Someone is carrying a bag or two of groceries - typically with a baguette extending upwards from one - and it is very clear that the bags are virtually weightless.

mmm

I once purchased a baguette that, after being bagged, stuck out the top, and I joked that I could be on a TV show. The teenage bagger looked at me blankly.

You want weight, add some stalks of celery you can munch on as you go home. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep. Celery poking out the top is how you know you’re on TV.

And extra credit for the green carrot tops protruding from the top of the bag

Now, let us be careful here- there’s usually a celery stalk peeking out also, no? :face_with_tongue:

Yeah, good one.

I assume that they didn’t want to pay royalties, so they commissioned an original song that THEY owned the rights to.

Or in an Art Frahm drawing.

Indeed. Unless they’re in Boston, in which case they say “128” just to confuse out-of-towners.

(Actually because Massachusetts Route 128 overlaps I-95 for a stretch in the Boston area [for 37.5 miles per Wikipedia], and because MA-128 predates I-95, Boston natives still call the highway in question “128”.)

Yes, but I had heard they could have got the song for like $100 per episode. Which of course may be way off.

Interesting!

He was definitely one of those artists whose style you would recognize right away.

After seeing the focus of his work, his famous Coppertone ad featuring the dog pulling down the little girl’s swimsuit bottom seems a bit creepier.

I guess none of those women got their knickers in a knot… :smirking_face:

Back in the early '60s, $100 was like $500 today. Maybe more.