What takes you out of a TV show or movie that’s actually trivial?

To take down her underwear, that had to be one powerful jackhammer!

The only “the” acceptable around here is “The Beltway” - whether around DC or Baltimore. Oh, and “The BW Parkway” between Baltimore and Washington.

:grin:

Great cite; thank you.

That’s who I was thinking of, but could not recall the name. ISTM a lot of 1950s/1960s TV used the same cliché’d groceries borrowed from Art’s art. Minus of course, the wardrobe malfunctions. But the men in the audience who had seen his drawings could imagine the rest easily enough.

The fact he used his 3yo daughter as a model is seriously creepy to modern sensibilities. But was probably an innocent thing in more innocent times. Probably.

I’m reminded of this bit of stupidity which goes to the idea that childhood nudity has meant different things in different eras.

I usually have no qualms whatsoever about cross-ethnic casting, but it takes me right out of a TV show or movie set after 1995 or so when a New York cabbie is portrayed as a white guy with no trace of a foreign accent. (Or, worse, an old-school “Where to, Mac?” accent.)

(See also Larry David’s cameo on Seinfeld as a newsstand cashier…)

And if the person is bumped into or disturbed in such a way that they drop their groceries, there are always a bunch of loose oranges that roll out onto the ground.

Clearly we had a long way to go back then in the technology of fabric elastics.

In fairness, around Chicago it’s called “The Dan Ryan,” and not I-90 or I-94. Looks like the use of “the” made it to at least the midwest.

Sometimes, large items sticking out of grocery bags come in handy:

I think the difference is that the West Coasters use “the” before numbers as in “the 95” and the rest of the country uses “the” before names. Even on the East Coast , I95 is known as the Cross Bronx Expressway , the New Jersey Turnpike , the New England Thruway. Or just plain “I-95”. Never “the 95”.

It’s not all west coasters, it’s mostly people from southern California. It’s a well-known shibboleth in California that distinguishes southern from northern Californians. Someone from San Francisco would never refer to “the 80” or “the 101”, while that would be normal usage for someone from Los Angeles.

I’m not invested much in sex scenes, but if people are going to do the in-out-in-out, they’ve got to disrobe enough to allow the required body contact.

I can’t really think of an example, but it’s not all that uncommon to skip the disrobing part, do some body motions without really removing pants or lingerie for 3 seconds, and that’s the “sex”. I mean if that’s all you’re gonna do, skip the nonsense, just make it implied. Don’t show a thing that can’t really happen.

I hate when that happens! Ladies, amirite?

If it makes you feel any better, the linked article indicates he used his daughter for the model of that ad before he started depicting the all-too-relatable problem of women losing their drawers at the grocery store.

So they probably weren’t related.

If you’ll forgive a literary example, if I need to draw a diagram to understand the sex in your romance novel, you’re doing it wrong. I mostly skim these days anyways, but too many times I have found myself thinking, “Wait, how does that even work?”

In fact we genuinely did. Elastic was kind of new still at that time, and was utter rubbish at its job in the early days, if you had it at all. Socks, for example, mostly did not have any. It’s why suspenders were so common then.

Are you saying women lost their drawers back then for real?

Well, all those women seem to have very little in the way of hips or rump, so there’s not much to hold their knickers up. Their midsection is built about like a tween boy or girl; all straight up & down.

I don’t recall actually losing them like in the paintings - but I absolutely remember being happy I was wearing pants when I was a kid because the elastic failed. And they would have been lost if I had been wearing a skirt.

My gym socks suffered a similar fate.

I lost my chonies not two months ago! OK, I wasn’t on the street, I was at work. And there wasn’t anyone around to leer at me, but they did indeed fall down around my ankles when I stood up. I shouldn’t have worn them, knowing the elastic was was going. I texted my sister about it, because it was funny. She thought I couldn’t afford underwear(or something?) and sent me a sixpack of Me Undies.

I never realized the stakes were so high around elastic breaking. Taking notes.

The important question is, when it happened, were you carrying a bag of groceries with celery poking out of the top?