What the FUCK is up with Tom Fucking Hanks?

Since when is it that a fucking ACTOR is an authority on any subject other than acting?

Tom Hanks - an overrated bosom buddy I think we’ve all seen enough of - was out at the D-Day celebration speaking out on the subject. Like he’s had any involvement at all with the storming of Normandy because he acted in a scene in a movie that featured it!

I am so sick and tired over these self-important actors and actresses that think a little too highly of themselves. If he wished to be there to pay his respects then fine, but shut your fucking mouth.

Go to fucking Universal Studios and go to the Twister thing and see Helen Cunt and that other shithead who starred in it and see them talking like the’ve been in the meterology fucking business all their fucking lives, and acting like their very fucking LIVES were in danger while making the fucking movie. “And while we were filming,” says the bitch, “a real twister was spotted a mere 100 miles away!” oooooooo.

They all take themselves WAY too fucking seriously, and I’m fed up with public sheep that put FAR too much stock in these self-appointed spokesfucks.

So… because he’s an actor, he’s not capable of having any historical knowledge? What makes you think he knows nothing about the WWII era?

Actually, Hanks researches his roles assiduously. And after learning about the D-Day landing, he was sufficiently impressed that he became one of the lead fundraisers on the memorial project.

I suspect that if you ask anyone who has been closely involved in trying to get the thing built, they would tell you that they are grateful for his help.

That would of course be the World War II Memorial planned for Washington, not the D-Day Memorial recently opened in Bedford, Va.

And, as long as I’m making a clarifying post, yeah, Busom Buddies was offensive to intelligence even by TV standards.

Oh, I’m sure he was quite the history buff in high school.

But I’d much rather that air and press time was devoted to hearing from the survivors of D-Day, those with direct experience, or at least second-hand experience, witnesses, and historians, don’t you?

I’ll give him that he must have done a bit of research on the subject in order to be an actor, but shut the fuck up.

Dustin Hoffman didn’t become the spokeman for Savants, Jack Nicholson doesn’t speak out about lycanthropy, and Jodi Foster isn’t the foremost “authority” on cannibalism or serial killers.

AARRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!

By your standards, no one who participates here at The Straight Dope should be able to speak (or post) about any subject other than their chosen professions, either. How do you know that Tom Hanks doesn’t know anything about D-Day? Maybe he’s an amateur war historian in his spare time or maybe he’s done a lot of research on the subject just because he’s interested in it.

Methinks you’ve got a bug stuck somewhere that ought to be dislodged as quickly as possible to prevent the inevitable brain hemorrhage you’ll get from getting this worked up over something so trivial.

Jeg elsker dig, Thomas

Is anyone here an actor claiming to be a spokesman?

Well, you’re right. Thanks.

Once again, no good deed goes unpunished. Wrath, why on earth do you care if Tom Hanks wants to help get a WWII memorial built? You know what? Maybe Tom Hanks doesn’t know squat about D-Day and WWII, but he knows enough to understand that the veterans of that war deserve a memorial.

God forbid that anyone should volunteer for a worthy cause if they don’t have a Ph.D in subject.

Rassum Frassum Slow Boards.

SPOOFE and manhattan beat me to the punch and said pretty much the same thing I did.

<sigh>

Well, at least I’m in good company with my opinion on the matter.

BWAAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA!

I damn near choked, that was a good one!

But back to the Wrath-bashing- whatever, dude. I for one am always grateful when a celebrity brings media attention to a cause, disease or other issue which otherwise would fall below the radar of the general public.

More power to 'em.

However, at every Memorial To Lycanthropy opening that I’ve been to, they have acknowledged that “Jack’s not here today, but he sends his regards.” There’s just so many statues being put up for this cause, that he just can’t make them all.

Well, he should, dammit. I know I’d attend a WereMemorial Opening if he was giving a keynote address.

Ideally he would bust through a stage wall with an axe first. I bet Tom Hanks didn’t do that, cuz he’s always seemed more boring than Jack.

Maybe when an actor became President of the US. It happened back in 1980, then again in '84. You remember, don’t you? It made all the papers.

But anyway, I doubt Tom Hanks was speaking as an authority, unless you have something that says he was. More likely the case, he was speaking out in support of the cause and using his celebrity status to help draw attention to it, which is a highly different situation. Anyone is entitled to speak out in support of a cause.

Except actors, Crunchy. Heaven forbid that actors have expertise or interest in anything except acting. :rolleyes:

Who the fuck do they think they are? Real people? Those arrogant shitheads - they should be sent back to the cinema screen where they belong.

I can’t say I’ve liked everything Hanks has done. But it seems that sometimes he gets really interested in a subject that is relating to a role he played in a movie. After Apollo 13 he began one of the producers of HBO’s series “From Earth to the Moon” which was a very good series in my opinion. I’m really looking forward to the WWII series on HBO, again with Hanks as one of the producers, which will premier in September.

I’d much rather actors stick to the past instead of telling me which political candidate is best. Babs anyone?

Marc

You mean an actor has dared to become passionate about a subject related to one of his roles? You mean a mere actor has dared to use the attention and prestige which society affords celebrity in support of an actual cause that real people care about? You mean, as the final outrage in this disgusting spectacle, it was not just any actor but an actor who once pretended to pretend to be a transvestite and now disgraces the public square with his dandified speechifying!

That bastard! String him up. I don’t care how many Oscars he’s won. You can’t live down the shame of playing second fiddle to Peter Scolari.

This country is going to Hell. The next thing you know Steven Spielberg will think he has the right to become involved in a Holocaust remeberance project just because he directed Schindler’s List.

I’m also thinking that actors are generally better public speakers than people with degrees in the subject matter. Certainly when it comes to ability to get others interested in the material and raise money.

Then again, I don’t think this thread should have ever been posted, as Wrath isn’t an authority on anything as far as I can tell, and certainly not on Tom Hanks’ knowledge of Operation Overlord.

Tom enters the boat slowly. Sweat glistens off his brow as the warm sea air caresses his faded blue shirt. He walks towards the staysail, slowly rocking with the deck as the waves lap against the port side. His arms, rippling with muscles from his biceps to his strong and powerful wrists, reach upward towards the ring attached to the head of the staysail.
Tom looking longingly towards the staysail. “You’re no jib,” he says with just a hint of forlorn in his voice, “but I think you’ll still do.”
Slowly, carefully, he lowers the ring downward. It descends delicately towards his manhood. The ring, were it alive, would be wet with anticipation of the moment, as Tom most assuredly is.
Smoothly, he slips the ring around his now erect penis and thrusts. The delight fills his body and he quakes at the sensation. He pulls out again, and thrusts, all in time to tolling of the bells floating out upon the water.
“Yes!” Tom screams as he thrusts again. “Yes. Take that, hanks. Take it all!”
The ring, the hanks, loves the fucking almost as much as Tom seems to. Tom reaches down, swimming in a sea of ecstasy almost as big as the sea which now surrounds the boat, he reaches down towards the hanks and…

oh…I’m sorry. We’re talking about Tom Hanks as a public speaker. Wow. See, I just thought, you know, with the title and all…

never mind.

Yeesh, a rant because Tom Hanks decides to help encourage the younger generations learn and want to learn more about World War II with the trials and tribulations of the men who were soldiers in one of the most horrific wars known in modern times?

Fer God’s Sakes Wrath, point your wrath towards more needy causes. At least he can get up in front of a crowd and inspire our world (through his notoriety) to keep history in our memories, something you can’t do because you are a nobody.

From what I know, Hanks studies what he can to make his projects as realistic as possible. Mst people I know will want to see this HBO movie that is (according to Hanks) as realistic as possible given interviews, historic accounts and the like.

Why don’t you beat up on the part of American culture that offers no value to our knowledge – just ass grinding entertainment that stimulates the groin rather than the brain.

< tongue in cheek on that last part so don’t get your panties in a wad. >

Y’know, I was just thinking back to a TV special that was giving the historical background of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and blow me down, but they must’ve interviewed a dozen survivors of that one tragedy for that show. Heaven’s t’Betsy, I wonder how they managed to sneak those interviews in under Emperor Tom’s nose.

:rolleyes:

What I, or you, prefer has nothing to do with it. I’d prefer that women would dance around naked on TV. The fact of the matter is, yes, he’s fully qualified to talk about the subject, and I’d much rather listen to him talk about it than not hear anything about it at all.