What the HELL is with St. Louis ?????

I have never seen these signs. Were they in a construction area, possibly at 170 and 40? If so, keep in mind that the end of 170 has only recently been made two way with double yellow lines. I can see an inattentive driver not noticing the change and trying to pass where they had always been able to pass before.

I’m not defending such a driver, but I really have never seen such a sign, and they are certainly not common on regular roads.

Yeah that’s kinda my point. The term Slave State is pretty commonly understood to refer to those states with slavery just prior to the Civil War. I tend to think of The South as those states that were part of the confederacy, so for me at least I don’t include those Union border states that allowed slavery at the beginning of the war.

Sure it is. I had to move to North Carolina to figure it out, but it is.

The trouble with the “XXX isn’t really the South” argument is that it essentializes the South in ways that make no sense. If you’re going to argue that NoVa isn’t really the South, you also have to argue that the Triangle area of North Carolina isn’t, and large chunks of the greater Atlanta area, and heaven knows what else. It’s much easier to accept that parts of the South are urban, ethnically diverse, and heavily Democratic; parts of it have a large influx of people from other places – otherwise, you’re going to end up drawing a map of the South that has a bunch of weird bends, twists, and doughnut holes in it.

Hey, we don’t want them either.

The signs are posted to dispel the notion among the Missouri drivers that the lines are there only for the tourists. I’ve seen drivers leaving Busch Stadium create six lanes on a three lane road.

Not odd at all. We simply know quality on the western edge of MO. Although, I’ll be in St Louis when the Tour of Missouri wraps up in September, so I don’t wanna piss off any more people than I usually do.

Gee, around here a quickie usually doesn’t include dinner.

They aren’t southern because we didn’t let them. Missouri and Maryland were kept in the Union by force or arms. And since “Maryland, My Maryland,” written as it was in the wake of the pro-secession riots in Baltimore in 1861, is still the state song I assume mant Marylanders consider themselves southern.

I am a Southerner and a Marylander. As a result I always have a lot of 'slaining to do.

Just sing them the first verse and tell them who the despot is. And it ain’t George III or Hitler.

That Maryland gal sounds pretty hot-to-trot!

Hey, come on now, St. Louis is a great place. :slight_smile: Give us another chance, I promise we aren’t all rude.

Hey there if you’re going to complain about St. Louis bitch about the right stuff:

1. Everyone wants to know where you went to High School as this indicates your political, religious and economic status as well as your relative intelligence.

2. Pizza with cheez whiz. (yeah, I know it’s provolone, but it still sucks on pizza)

3. The 19 ought something World’s fair is still considered one of the highlights of St. Louis achievement. Not to mention the giant wicket built to honor all those who LEFT the state.

Don’t be complaining about the drivers. I’ve lived from coast to coast. Got my DL in the Chicago area, lived in San Diego and drove around LA all the time, lived in NY and drove in the city and environs and I’ve got to tell you St. Louis drivers are the most polite I’ve ever encountered. When you want to change lanes you just have to turn on your signal and they slow down to let you in, unbelievable!! I cross the Poplar Street Bridge almost every day and have to go from the far right lane to one of the two left lanes and never have a problem during rush hour. The problems occur when tourists are crossing and go every man for themselves :frowning: When leaving parking lots after the theatre every other lane goes in sequence. I love St. Louis drivers. (Note: all bets are off if its raining or snowing, then STL drivers completely lose their minds.)

BTW are you sure the sign didn’t say “Don’t cross double white lines?” This sign is on highway 270 just before the 40 intersection to keep people (outsiders imho) from squeezing into the line at the last minute and cutting off the regulars who have been patiently waiting their turn.

No service at home depot :confused: Oh, that’s right you’re from the Cartoon Universe. :cool:

regards

sinjin

Yeah, that’s pretty much true. :slight_smile:

Now wait a minute. Provel is the king of cheese! Every time people visit me from out of town, they get turned on to Provel, Imo’s pizza, and toasted ravioli, and when they come back, those are the first things they want.

I’ll grant you this one! I don’t know why people can’t seem to drive in the rain here. Everybody slows down to 35 mph regardless of visibility.

HEY! Don’t drag the Land of Lincoln into it! If it weren’t for our strip clubs and adult entertainment, Missourians would have no place to party.

Imo’s is like White Castle… when you go back there, you really want to try some again, and then you realize - wow, this is not really all that good!

Lion’s Choice, on the other hand, is perfection.

If you want St. Louis style pizza, don’t go to Imo’s. It’s mass produced and comes out soggy and generally uninteresting.

Go to Thats’s Nice’a Pizza, Shotzie’s (on Lindbergh a couple of miles north of South County Mall) or some other independent store.

Agree on Lion’s Choice. Yum.

Hmm, let’s see what the Master has to say about it. Not Cecil, but ol Sam Clemens, from Life on the Mississippi:

So, this portion of that is the one that gets extracted and quoted often from Twain: “If you send a damned fool to St. Louis, and you don’t tell them he’s a damned fool they’ll never find it out.”

But go ahead on in the “Master” link, read it through, and then the capper of the last few lines. Mr. Twain sure was a smart, complex fellow!

Its the soft-shell crab. :smiley:

edited to add:

And Hentor, settle down. Don’t be draggin’ White Castle into all this… :cool:

Hey, I gotta defend my city’s food.

Lion’s Choice is the best. Is it only a St. Louis franchise? I thought it had a wider area.

If you are going to place a stadium right in a major metropolitan center, consider the clusterfuck that might result with traffic as they leave, and make adjustments to the roads. When making those adjustments, realize that St. Louis drivers are worthless fucknuts. Act accordingly.

I had decent service everywhere though.