What the hell is your thread about?

First off, I’ve been around a little while, and I regret that the first thread I’m starting has to be in the pit. That said, I’ve found a great way to cut down on my Dope time (new job, have to work). I don’t read threads when I can’t tell what they are about by the title. Some recent examples:

Is this legal?

Should I get mixed up in this?

Definition

I’m seeing but I don’t believe.

Those are just a few recent ones off the top of my head. Some of us don’t have time to guess what you want to talk about. I am now skipping all threads that I can’t even come up with a guess as to the topic. Do others feel this way, and hate wasting time checking threads they end up not caring about? Just a suggestion, but the better the title you pick the more likely the teeming millions are to be interested and look in. Don’t get me started on invisible titles.

Heheheheee…DUCK!!!

Unforgiven

Yeah, ya’ll should put your entire question in the topic header. Good ole Joe might miss somethin’

Let me know which one’s you might want to read Joe. I’ll send the Cliff’s Notes to ya.

Dopeler effect:
The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Or maybe I should have replied this way:

<Yeah, ya’ll should put your entire question in the topic header. Good ole Joe might miss somethin’
Let me know which one’s you might want to read Joe. I’ll send the Cliff’s Notes to ya.>

There’s really more here than you can see. If you’re nice I’ll tell ya the secret.

Dopeler effect:

<well now I look like an asshole>

That last one was good - yor best to date, I think. Keep it up

The bells of Hell go tingalingaling…

Tell you what Joe. Start a thread that lets us know all of your favorite things. That way, we can customize thread titles to let you know that it is something you should check out. For instance, you might like hurricanes. Instead of a thread titled “Here comes another one” I could simply title it “Joe, read this one. It’s about hurricanes and should be worth your precious time to read.” I think we will all, of course, expect feedback. I for one can’t imagine the thought of having you read a thread of mine and leave disappointed. I now feel a heavy burden to title my threads to please you, and then give them some type of content to justify your gracious reading and posting to my measly thread.
Thank you Joe, this board and all future postings of mine now have meaning.

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

It wasn’t that long ago I saw somebody griping about people who put their question in the thread title.

Joe, I can understand your point, but don’t you think that you might be a little unreasonable? It only takes a few seconds to open a thread, read the OP and decide whether or not you are interested. If you are that pressed for time, perhaps you shouldn’t be reading the SDMB at all.

OK, so there’s a thread called “What?” and the first time I open it, it ain’t much bother, tot, and I see that I’m not interested. But then I see it again two days later and I have forgot what it was about and whether I cared, and so I open it again. And again a day after that. And…

I’m with JoeBlank on this one. There are some threads I have zero interest in that I’ve opened several times like CKDextHavn describes, and I get a little more annoyed every time.

What is so difficult about making a descriptive title? If you are going to spend the time to make what we all hope is a halfway intelligent post, spend 2 seconds more to think of a decent title.

What Rev said.

This space for rent.

I wouldn’t say asshole UncleBeer … just … it’s murphy’s law - if you’re showing off, it’s gonna fuck up.

trisha

OK, so there’s a thread called “What?” and the first time I open it, it ain’t much bother, tot, and I see that I’m not interested. But then I see it again two days later and I have forgot what it was about and whether I cared, and so I open it again. And again a day after that. And… ]]] CK

Well at least we now know who all those ‘click this button’ sites were for.
(You aren’t in the market for any bubble wrap, by any chance,are you?)

Yup, fucked by the fickle finger of fate, again.

Dopeler effect:

Thanks to all who have replied, especially those who agreed with me. Your input is appreciated.

Mullinator, I’m not saying a descriptive title is a requirement, but I’m willing to bet the quantity and quality of your replies will go up if you use one.

Tater, I’m sorry I don’t have the time to read every thread, but I am sticking around anyway. Some folks who have the luxury of reading and posting all day don’t seem to mind us part-timers.

Unclebeer, I usually Dope from work, monday-friday. I’ll send you an e-mail on fridays and you will have the weekend to prepare my Cliff’s Notes on interesting threads. Thanks for your help.

If I didn’t state this clearly before I’ll explain it now: I don’t fly off the handle when I see a thread entitled “What”, and I used to open such threads. In the future I will not. I am not saying that the possibility of my brilliant insight on your topic should be enough for you to change your thread titling habits. Some people even go the extra mile and come up with a pun or otherwise humorous title. As Revtim said, “If you are going to spend the time to make what we all hope is a halfway intelligent post, spend 2 seconds more to think of a decent title.” Folks get slammed all the time for idiotic posts, shouldn’t the same criteria extend to titles?

No problem, Joe. Glad to meetcha. As you have noticed we’re can be a pretty acerbic bunch.

How’s the new job goin?

Dopeler effect:

Hey Joe, no harm intended. Just excersing my skills in the BBQ pit with this one. Welcome aboard.

Do you live in the Brookwood portion of Snellville? Parkview grad here.

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

Mullinator, I’m a South Gwinnett grad. Damn, small world. Now I live off Hwy. 84, towards Grayson.

I’m not exactly new, been around since July, but I try to keep my comments to a minimum, don’t talk unless you have something to say and all that.

I started this thread in relation to my efforts to cut down on my Dope time, and now I’ve spent all morning reading responses and responding to them. Got what I deserved, I guess. Thanks again to all.

I also succumb to CK’s disease. I find myself opening the same uninteresting (to me) threads time and again because I can’t remember what the subject was by reading the title. It’s not something I obsess about, but it has caused fits of grumbling in the past.

Welcome JoeBlank, from a fellow Snellvillian rushing to your aid!

Mullinator - Since we’re in the Pit, Parkview sucks!!! Go Comets!!!

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik