I pit people who end thread titles with ...

(ellipses)

Don’t leave us hanging. Just tell us what you want to say without having to mouse-over or open the thread. There’s a rule here against non-descriptive thread titles.

Not to single anyone out, but here’s an example.

Yeah. That seems like an awful lotta trouble.

thanks, uncle beer.

It’s more of a pet peeve. Mild.

I hadn’t noticed how common this had become…

Or alternately…
Is it just me or is everyone…
I know he can GET the job…
If I Decide To Do It, The Baby Must NEVER Find Out…
I didn’t feel like I was truly an adult until…
Any Austin Dopers interested…
In which I get to prepare for my daughter’s potential sexuality a decade early…
Wishing death on someone…
Clinton talks, the U.S. walks … .
He hit my kid. Someone talk me down…
Mother FUCK AA…

What Yummy Treats Will You Be Making For The Holidays?..

Okay, that last one is kind of pointless…

Check out that link in the OP again… We really can make a difference here if we complain about things loudly enough! Yay!

Some of those are OK, others are not, IMHO. For example, I can get the gist of “In which I get to prepare for my daughter’s potential sexuality a decade early…” and “I didn’t feel like I was truly an adult until…” because the ellipses don’t really take the place of some omission of words.

I’m only bothered by the ones where the OP hides the gist of the thread in the OP.

It’s more trouble than people should go through when there’s a perfectly good place to describe the thread, the title.

Order has been restored! :smiley:

Shouldn’t that be, “It’s more trouble than people should go through when there’s a perfectly good place to describe the thread . . . the title.”

So thread titles should be more like this?
The one about cheese

The one about Star Trek

The one about Bush

The one about masturbating like a mutherfuck.

The one about blimps

The one about me, incinerating your canine

There’s a difference between creative thread titles and hiding the ball.

A creative thread title can at least tell me that it’s a humorous thread about blimps, or whatever. It’s enough information to let me know at first glance whether I want to be bothered with the thread or not.

Titles like these, however, are useless because it could be anything:

I like …

Don’t you hate it when …

I believe that …

Why doesn’t …

How do I …

(LOLz!!!1! You must take more action to find out. Pay special attention to me!)

Dear OPer: Here is a thread that you may find most interesting. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, but “the title”…

… should be in the next post.

And not to hijack too much, but those of you who just post a link to a news article - hey, at least put a quote in to tell us why we would be interested.

Ethilrist:

“What Yummy Treats Will You Be Making For The Holidays?..”

Okay, that last one is kind of pointless…
I see your point, and it was a very stupid thing for me to do. Yep. You’re right. It WAS pointless. Sorry about that.

Shouldn’t that be the one about I incinerating your canine?

Small nitpick - the proper expression for those 3 dots … is ellipsis.
Ellipses are another matter http://www.1728.com/ellipse.htm
(Yes, that’s my website, but it has a nice big ellipse right at the top for everyone’s viewing convenience).

I agree with Khadiji about posting a link and not even offering a sentence of summary or explanation.

Uncle Beer I would agree with you about the mouseover viewing, provided that the poster starts getting to the heart of the matter immediately so you can read it in the mouseover view. I’m sure you’d agree that a posting such as this is a real pain.
“What would happen if …”
and then the mouseover view starts off:*
I’ve been thinking about this for a quite a while. It happened in work a long time ago but still is there something I can do to correct it? Do you think I’ve waited too long ? I’ve discused this with my family and a few friends and most of them think my decision is wrong. Anyway, here’s the story."* zzzzzzzzzzzzz And you end up having to click on the damned posting anyway. :mad:

Okay, that’s all. I’ll take my medication now.

The plural of ellipsis is ellipses.