What titles would you like to see come out on DVD?

I second Twin Peaks Season 2. I just don’t understand it. These days every horrible movie or TV show is on DVD. Why not Twin Peaks?

The Ted Danson version of Gulliver’s Travels, which for some unaccountable reason was (last time I looked) out only on VHS.

There’s hundreds of silents I’m still waiting for, and I’m not just talking about obscure stuff that would only interest me and maybe six other people, but big, important films like Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse or Souls for Sale. Even Sunrise and Ben Hur aren’t available alone–only as extras in box sets of non-silents.

Season 2 of The Larry Sanders Show.

Max Headroom

Fortunately Sunrise is packaged with some great DVDs in the box set, so it’s worth buying anyways – Gentlemen’s Agreement, All About Eve, How Green Was My Valley.

I’m astonished that “Rebecca” isn’t out on DVD yet. They’re already doing second editions of some Hitchcock DVDs – even lesser-known ones like “Shadow of a Doubt” (which is lesser known, but definitely not of lesser quality – it is reportedly Hitch’s personal favorite of his films). Yet “Rebecca,” the only one of his movies to win the Oscar for Best Picture, isn’t out??

Eve – glad you mentioned the silent movie documentary. I’d never heard of it, though I’ve heard of Kevin Brownlow (he did some restoration work on Abel Gance’s “Napoleon”). Looks like an incredible documentary; I’m gonna have to figure out someway to get my hands on it!

Robinson Crusoe on Mars – AFAIK, it’s never been released on either VHS or DVD, or any other format. My copy is aped from TV.

Frankenstein – the 1910 Edison Company Chales Ogle version. It as briefly available on DVD, but was withdrawn.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 the Movie. I understand it’s been released twice on DVD, but in a very lmited capacity, and the first release wasn’t satisfying.

The Thief of Baghdad – the 1924 Douglas Fairbanks original, restored by Rohauer, with tinting and a full orchstral score. I taped this off PBS, but a.) I don;'t think they ever released it, on any format; and b.) I now learn that even that version was not complete.

** Judge Dee and the Monastery Murders** – One of my favorite TV movies. AFAIK, never released in any format. Again, my copy’s from TV.

The Day of the riffids - the British TV version that runs about six hours, not he American version from circa 1963. Faithful to the book.

The Adventures of Mark Twain – Will Vinton’s underapprecated masterpiece of Claymation.

The Last of Sheila – as far as I know, this hasn’t been released on DVD. My all-time favorite mystery.

A Careful Man --obscure TV production of great Frederick Forsyth mystery, perfectly faithful to his story.

There are major complications with getting that released in any format, due to the behavior of the man who owned the only known print. Now that he’s dead, it may finally be released.

Robin Hood, Men in Tights, if for no other reason than to have a present to give the hard-to-shop-for Only Mostly Dead.

Ah, but it has.

As has this. You might want to check some of the others on your list – those were just the first two I happened to look up.

Promises, promises…

I was an extra in that! Well, possibly, I never actually saw it.

Hmm. Whenever I check movies on the IMDB, it gives a shot of the DVD cover, if it’s out on DVD. The last time I checked the ones I listed they weren’t shown that way. But I didn’t check them on Amzon.

It’s out on Region 1 DVD, but only as part of the Mel Brooks box set. Netflix has it on VLW.

Motel Hell is available, IIRC, as part of MGM’s budget line of twofer horror disks.

It may not be on DVD anymore, but it is available on-line. (Search Google Video.) The film itself is in the public domain, so it should be legal, but I believe there may be complicated copyright issues that I don’t understand related to the specific edition that was made available to the public, which is why I’m not linking to it directly. It’s only about 12 minutes long and is worth watching to anyone interested in silent film.

Re-Animator 2. I hear the commentary with Jeffery Combs is great. Given how funny he was in the first one, both the movie and the commentary, I’d love to see this.

Bruno S. - Estrangement is Death

This came out (along with a bunch of other BBC SF stuff) on Region 2 DVD last year; I don’t know if the Beeb has any plans to release it in Region 1, though …

Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Pseudo-Classic Damnation Alley.

That really subtle and creepy 1980’s UK “Robin Hood” series that used to air on Showtime, too.