What to do with leftover pizza

Uh, that was not a serious question.

To a certain extent, I judge pizza based on whether it tastes good cold the next day. Pizza Hut pizza, for instance, does not.

I know. I am diabetic too and hear these things a lot and often it depends on my mood at the time whether I “get” the playful poke or not. Having to give up all bread is a very serious thing.

My standard routine which has always worked well incorporates several elements that have already been suggested. Leftover pizza is refrigenerated in a plastic bag after it cools a bit (like the clear bags grocery stores have for loose fruits and vegetables) – in one layer, preferably unsliced if possible. I reheat it by slicing the cold pizza and nuking it in the microwave until the cheese is well melted, meanwhile preheating a non-stick crepe pan. Then the slices are slipped onto the hot pan with a spatula just until the sogginess is toasted off but the pizza is still a bit floppy – I don’t like it overly crispy. This works so well that sometimes I think it has a better taste and texture than it did the day before.

My old method was to reheat it in the oven but aside from the time and waste of energy, I find that it tends to dry it out.

I’m good. My story (though common) is serious, but my motivation for posting was as a light-hearted response to “Pizza dilemma? What’s that?!”, not as an anguished primal scream.

For me, what I gave up was not very important and what I’ve gained in appreciation for the power and control we do have over our health has been well worth it. Some folks find all this depressing. I’ve managed to make it empowering & motivating. Not 100% of the time, but far more than not.

Sorry to hear you’re diabetic, but that’s a great attitude. :slight_smile: You’re probably taking much better care of yourself than I am!

Those bags don’t seal well, though, which is why I use ziploc bags. Or a large Tupperware-type container, but I don’t have one at present.

I find that they seal well enough if you tightly twist the opening and then secure it with a twist tie. It doesn’t really have to be absolutely airtight. After all, bread, hamburger buns, and the like keep perfectly well for 10 days or more in loose bags that are secured with just one of those little plastic clips.

I was evidently being a bit too facetious. I know that often in the course of time people have to give up various foods that they enjoy greatly. It’s a horrid thought. As it is, I seem to have some minor allergies, whereby I have to be careful eating walnuts, cherries and apples; I stop at once if I feel a tingling. With applies I think it is the apple peel. And no, it is not pesticides, in all cases I eat only untreated ones, and I have all of them in the garden

Leftover party pizza could probably be used to make a delicious sandwich.

in my late 60’s now … exactly ‘nothing’ tasty about leftover pizza (barely digestible, in fact) … still, eating leftovers is far better than throwing it out. back when i was a young’in … cold pizza for b’fast was almost as tasty as fresh from the oven.

so, nowadays … after eating half of the 15" pie (s’already room temp) … i slide the remaining slices over one inch (prevents sticking) … then, into the fridge. from there, it’s easy to place on foil for a reheat … or, just zap it … supported with the cardboard disk it came with.

If you dislike leftovers so much, why are you getting twice as much as you can enjoy?

And try reheating in a dry skillet. It can’t be worse than microwaving it.

I like dipping leftover pizza that I microwave in ketchup or some other sauce.

I usually put two slices back to back, i.e. crust to crust in a ziplock bag. That’s lunch for tomorrow, or breakfast.

Normally, I’m not a fan of long prison sentences, but some crimes cannot go unpunished.

Perhaps the shitty pizza available in Missouri can be improved by the addition of ketchup, but don’t try that some place where the pizza is actually good, like in New Haven.

As someone who moved to Missouri in middle age I can attest that @Dewey_Finn has nailed it. MO, or at least STL-style pizza, would definitely be improved by ketchup. First you pour the ketchup on it, then you drop the slice in the trash & catch a plane for Chicago, NY, Los Angeles, etc.

Hell, pizza in Albuquerque is probably better. Whether or not you turn left.

I got hint to reheat pizza on stovetop, seems to recover original texture

Fry it in a non-stick frying pan. Let the crust get nice and warm, then flip it and shuffle it around the pan as the cheese melts. Almost as good as fresh-baked. Really close.

• two meals from one 15" $10 pizza = $5 each meal.
  • two meals from two 11" $8.5 pizza ($17) = $8.5 each meal.

tbh … never thought of reheating in skillet … count on me tryin’ that next time … member “flib” makes it sound palatable.

p.s. and, no … i don’t bother with the “two burgers for price-of-one” deal at fast-food joints … reheating burgers, that’s just nasty.
p.p.s. i have, though, attempted the two-for-one burgers concept … and given one to the homeless chap on street corner. watching in rear-view mirror … noticed he promptly dropped and stepped on the burger. guess the poor ‘sod’ wasn’t hungry. or, maybe his intent was to make a flat-bread “pita” sandwich outta’ the burger … go figure that one.