What tool to tighten the faucet ring on a kitchen faucet?

I’m not a plumber so I might have used the wrong words in the topic title. Anyway…

We have one of those 1-post fixtures for our kitchen faucet. This one post is a couple of inches in diameter and contains both the frigamatom (the part that controls the amount and temperature of the water) and the posimumbat (the part that the water comes out of).

This one post has a single hole through the counter top. Underneath the counter top is a circular ring that screws on the one post that is supposed to be tightened to hold the one post solidly in one place.

The problem is that circular ring is loose. I can tighten it a little bit by hand but it isn’t tight enough to hold. The space is a little bit blocked by the sink, but there is still a little room up there.

Here’s the real question: Is there a special tool that allows you to tighten up that circular ring so that it holds the fixture reliably in place? (And what is it called?) If there isn’t a special tool, how do you go about tightening it enough so that it doesn’t come loose?


often the rings might have a notch needing a spanner wrench.

with a rag or masking tape on the jaws of a large adjustable joint pliers might work.

a rubber gloved hand might hand tighten better than a bare hand.

Sent from MPSIMS to GQ at the OP’s request.

I think you’re asking about a faucet wrench.

Usually called a basin wrench. Works amazingly well under the faucet in that very very tight spot. Really hurts if you drop it on your face. Don’t drop it on your face.

ETA, if you’re trying to tighten a ‘circular ring’, that might not be big enough. If the part is loose, take it off and bring it to a hardware or plumbing store and see if they can recommend something. Often times faucets come with a cheap plastic part that slips onto that and connects to a ratchet or screwdriver handle. A plumbing store might be able to sell you a new one, or a bigger basin wrench.

If you’re leaning on an awkwardly twisted hand to reach under there, for long enough that your hand goes to sleep, and it falls on the back of your hand, that hurts too. :slight_smile:

The problem with the basin wrench is that, like other tools you’re holding it over your face, unlike other tools, it points at your face and you’re directly below it* and since it’s so long you don’t have a whole lot of time to move out of the way after you drop it. At least with a regular wrench, I get an extra foot and it falls flat, not all pointy.

*I do try not to be directly below them.

They do work amazingly well. If there weren’t already a thing called a pipe wrench, they’d be the pipe wrench of the plumbing world. When you look at one, you think “This will never work. It won’t grip and I won’t be able to get any torque on it.” Then you’ll be surprised at how easy it is.

It is amazing. You can grip the nuts blind too. I’ve dragged mine out to work on cars occasionally. As Joey is saying, the problem is you’re always in an uncomfortable, disadvantageous position when you’re using one. Sink repairs were meant for small people.

I own several basin wrenches. They get used so infrequently that I forget I own one, so I pick one up along with the new fixture.

And people that have no feeling in their lower back.

A slight hijack, but still on the general subject. When I must go under the sink I lay down some 4by4’s perpendicular to the cabinet. A piece of plywood on top of those makes a good platform to lay on back, or insert yourself sideways. YMMV