What Type of Factory Makes Milk?

Depending on what the cow was fed, fresh from the tap, as it were, can taste really good or really nasty.

The last time I had a hamburger, it was made from this pinkish stuff called “ground beef” (turns brown when cooked), which presumably comes from beef.

PS: When I was little, I once called hamburger “hambooger”, which sounds unappetizing to say the least.

Let’s not even get started on where Leather comes from.

The Leather Factory!

Since we’re in GQ: milk processing typically occurs in three stages, pasteurization, (micro)filtering, and homogenization.

Pasteurization is heating the milk to kill nasties and extend its shelf life. Filtering removes any remaining nasties. Homogenization (forcing the milk through bottlenecks at high pressure) breaks down the fat globules and increases the length of time it takes for the milk to come out of emulsion (separate into cream/fat and watery stuff, basically).

Most dairy farms pasteurize (heat it to kill bacteria) the milk at the farm before it is transported to the diary for processing and packaging.

So it goes from the farm to places like Londonderry, Derry, NH, or anyplace else named Derry or dairy. Also, that’s why cows are put out to pasture. It’s lets them know what’s coming. If it’s hot enough outdoors the milk has already been pasteurized before it has it’s tits yanked. :wink:

Nipples. You can milk anything with nipples.

I have nipples. Could you milk me?

Yes. Yes we can.

As kids, we had a book about Louise Pasteur, so naturally we wanted to know who Mr. Homogen was.

There’s usually an additional charge for that.

Chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

That’s not the only reason for homogenization; milk from different cows will have different levels of fats, proteins and sugars; homogenization ensures that you always have the same mix of nutrients in it, somewhat like buying meat that has a given percentage of fat (except I presume that here it is done by selecting cuts of meat, or for ground meat, adding fat/lean meat, the latter being closer to what is done with milk).

So almonds, coconuts, and soys have nipples? Who knew!

No, that’s what happens when you milk chocolate, hence chocolate milk. Just like cow milk or human milk.

Chocolate has nipples?

Yeah, but I wouldn’t google them at work.

Sure it does, just look at a Hershey’s Kiss.

ETA: Response to August West.

*Oh the cow in the meadow goes moo
Oh the cow in the meadow goes moo
Then the farmer hits it on the head with a hammer
And that’s how we get hamburger!

Nooooooow…chickens!*

I’m old enough to remember when Saddam said the US bombed a baby milk factory in the first Gulf War. Kinda odd to draw attention to a place where infants were milked, I thought.