What type of hood do they use for ebola virus PPE?

In this video http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/health/2014/04/14/newday-gupta-ebola-spreading-fast-west-africa.cnn.html it shows some of the PPE (protective equipment) they wear, and it all looked pretty standard except the white hood they wear that I have never seen before even in medical settings. Does anyone know what it is called? I have looked on sites that sell medical PPE and have not found anything like that. This picture http://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/news/2014/04/providing-healthcare-to-ebola-patients.aspx shows something similar although I don’t think it is the same thing as in the video.

Sorry, I don’t know the name of that type of PPE hood, but I think they may be the same hood, with the laces tied back in the video, but untied in the photo.

Ebola virus is a level 4 biohazard. Basically, you need to wear a spacesuit and pass through an “air lock”. It looks to me like they’re wearing disposable spacesuits and as much of an airlock they can make portable and afford in that area. As for the untied lacing in the photo, they may be suiting up. It takes time and you want to take the time to do it correctly.

In this video, they’re working outside - so there is no air lock and no way to contain the air within the contamination zone. They’re also not wearing a chemical protective suit or breathing apparatus or respirator - they’re not in anything I would call level A or B protective gear. While biosafety level IV precautions make sense in the lab, they don’t make sense in the field in an open-air environment (indeed, they were written for laboratory/hospital environments rather than for field practice in third-world countries.) That probably explains why they’re wearing a hood, goggles, and mask rather than a respirator. Needless to say, if I were in their boots, I would prefer to have a respirator and a face shield… but it’s possible that either they can’t do the work they need to do in that sort of equipment (a respirator especially will reduce the time a worker can spend on any task) or they don’t have the funds and resources for that sort of equipment. Maybe both.
That said, getting back to the OP, the type of hood being worn looks similar to a surgical hood or just a disposable hood (like this one or maybe this one) - most surgical hoods don’t have the shoulders covered and there are specific head & beard covers like this that don’t have the shoulder protected as well.

I would say your best bet for a term for this item is “disposable hood” or “disposable surgical hood.”

Hm - looking around on the web, you might also try “long hood” or “face veil” which some manufacturers use to describe similar products with the shoulder-length and the mouth/nose covering they may have in the video.

The OP’s reference is showing what MSF (Doctors Without Borders) is using. It is not SOP for researchers in the lab or field. It is what they are making do with given how few resources they have as an NGO and their deep commitment to do what they can.

Such protective gear uses a hood that is somewhat similar to a military MOPP suit’s hood.

To be properly kitted up, a positive pressure suit must be worn in the lab or in the field. These do indeed bear some resemblance to a space suit. And scrubbing in and out of a BLS4 lab requires going through multiple decontamination protocols. MSF is spraying down with what seems to be bleach - better than nothing but still woefully inadequate.

I think it may be this cleanroom hood.

It looks like a DuPont Tyvek hood, meant to cover the head and neck, and they are probably wearing N95 respirators, not simple procedure masks. The hood is meant to prevent contagion from splatter or droplets, not to be airtight. They are trying to cover all exposed skin and mucous areas. The CDC suggests using a full face shield instead of goggles here in the US. Googles can get hot and cloudy real fast. Some protective suits have hoods built in, but now the theory is that taking off the suit with a built in hood (like a sweatshirt hoodie) is more difficult and a greater risk of contamination. For Ebola in the US the recommendation is either the hood with the face shield, with an N95 respirator, fit tested, or a PAPR (positive air pressure) hood/system.