what was paul simon talking about? yet another "me & julio" thread

In the song “Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard” what was it that the momma saw? Obvioulsy it was against the law, but just what was it that paul was doing with julio down by the schoolyard. And what does Rosie have to do with it (other than being the queen or corona)?

If you’re looking for strict narrative meaning in a Paul Simon song, you’re going to be disappointed.

Here’s a recent thread on the subject.

There’s been about nine threads on this subject.

What IS it about that dumbass song that gets everyone so confused? Me, I wanna know what the heck’s going on in “Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover.”

OK following these links was like the Russian Dolls of threads. Except they didn’t get any smaller.

yikes! Didn’t know this was such an oft discussed topic. I tried to do a search, but couldn’t find a search link that worked. Well at least I know I am not alone in my quest for a greater understanding of Paul Simon’s words. Thanks for the links

Ukulele Ike, here’s my take on “Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover.”

He and she meet somewhere and are attracted to each other, but he feels a commitment to his current lover. So she tries to convince him to scratch the lover and go home with her. To me, the punch line is:

She said why don’t we both just sleep on it tonight
And I believe that in the morning you’ll begin to see the light
And then she kissed me and I realized she probably was right

The refrain is just Simon using cliched rhymes that he’s been collecting and wanted to put in a song.

OK, OK, I know you knew it all along.