What was the grip?

Mrs. Geek came across this in her genealogy research. It was in a newspaper article in the early 1900s (1910, I think) and the article said something like Mrs. such and such had been confined to her house for a week by an attack of the grip.

I know “consumption” was tuberculosis, but what was the “grip”?

I think it is the grippe from the French and IIRC it was a form of the flu

Usually spelled gripe, not flu but tummy ache.

Here’s OED:

Confined to the house for one week for a tummy ache? I think it’s far more likely to be grippe:

Called so because bowel pain is a symptom of stomach flu, I think. In Germany, the flu is still referred to as “Die Grippe.”

Aside from the Grip there is also the Pip. No joke. Technically it’s a disease specific to poultry but also used as a non specific ailment in humans.

Cultural reference from Guys and Dolls:

When I was growing up in Massachusetts in the 40s and 50s the term “grippe” was still common for a flu-like illness.

“Flu” is influenza, which has nothing to do with the stomach. Referring to an intestinal virus as flu is incorrect, though I suppose it’s somewhat popular.

Here is a 1916 NYT article which seems to be referring to the flu.

Interesting - that refers to a “pandemic” flu affecting the Eastern United States just two years ahead of a much larger pandemic - first observed in the United States at Fort Riley and in Queens and then affecting the whole country, and indeed most of the world.

Different flus, I’m sure. I just find it interesting.

That occurred to me too, only not until after I posted.

Safe to assume this is related to where they got the term “gripe water” from? BTW, that stuff worked wonders on our colicky baby!

good point.

i always assumed it was because it stopped the kid from whinging and moaning!

have the do-gooders and nanny pc’ers changed the formula these days?

Thanks to all for the replies. It was spelled “grip” in the article, but grippe (aka flu) seems to fit.