What was the most useless class you took in college?

What was the most useless class you took in college?

I’d have to say chemistry. I had it in high school and two courses in college.
Twenty years later. I remember acids, bases, and salts.

Those hundreds of hours I spent balancing chemical equations? Totally gone. I couldn’t solve one of those now for anything. I barely remember how to read the periodic table of elements.

I did ruin lots of clothes in chemistry lab. Holes would mysteriously appear in my clothes months after the class ended.

Remember those balance scales? With the weights? You had to pick them up with tweezers because the oils in your fingers would ruin them. what a PITA to use.

What useless class did you take? :smiley:

Religion was a requisite at the Lutheran college I went to. It was taught without any critical thinking skills needed or wanted.

For my teaching credential I had to take a class on alcohol and drugs. I wanted to challenge it based on life experience.

They wouldn’t let me, so I showed up to class three times: first day to get the syllabus, midterms, final. Aced the class. Never even bought the book.

COMM101. I took it as a senior having already had several jobs in the real world requiring communication in high-stress situations. I had already been invited to interview at several vet schools, not that interview skills were even addressed in COMM101, which was basically intro to communication theory and the basics of how to not fuck up a class powerpoint too badly. I got more entertainment out of the corny geek jokes that only the instructor and I got than out of the content of the course. I only took it because it was required by one of the schools I applied to; I’m not sure why their application and interview process wasn’t sufficient to determine that an applicant could, in fact, pass a freshman-level course taught by a Master’s student who was just out of college herself.

This bullshit teamwork and leadership class. It mostly consisted of those stupid corporate teambuilding exercises.

Philosophy 101 and 102.
Taken to fulfill a humanities prerequisite to get into the engineering college.
It was so high level it was more like history - lots of names and dates.

Well, there was a semester class about how to get around the school. Things like how to use the library, where the counselors office was, how to work BlackBoard. Then there was a lot of classes that had nothing to do with my major. I actually like a lot of them though so I wouldn’t call them useless. Honestly though, the classes IN my major have been pretty useless. I had a steady job going into college, I knew I would have it leaving college (family business). I still have it. I knew I most likely wouldn’t be getting a job in my field of study and basically went for a major in something I enjoyed. It switched a few times but ultimately wound up being Math. Sure, I could probably pick it back up pretty quickly if I went back to school, but as of right now, I know more about psychology and sociology then advanced calculus.

Faith & Doubt. It was supposed to be a discussion of the various arguments for and against the existence of God, but the main message seemed to be that not everyone believed the same things as a sheltered freshman.

The two Teaching/Education courses that I took when I thought I might go into the Business Education program. God, what a miserable, lame, ridiculous, time-wasting guilt trip circle jerk. The program ended up getting scrapped before I could get any further. Looking back now, this was a fantastic twist of fate as it caused me to change my major and my path in life to something a lot more useful.

My first and only computer class. It covered the history of computers to that point, 1986-ish. That was OK. Then we went to programing in Basic on Apple computers.

The first night the instructor said everything we would learn in that class and the equipment we were using was already obsolete.

Yep.

Introduction to Sociology. I took the course during my last semester because I needed to build up enough total credit hours in order to graduate. It really didn’t cover anything that wasn’t just obvious and common sense.

Contemporary Dance.

What do I win?

Ironically, my Intro Sociology Prof discussed common sense.

I didn’t think I had any really useless ones because I tried to pick only good classes but you knocked loose a repressed memory for me. I have to go with Philosophy 101 as well. It was just history combined with made up equations involving words instead of numbers. I liked the idea of Philosophy before I took a class in it but no more of that for me thanks.

Linguistics and Latin.

Easily Intro to Computing. I’m 26 years old. I grew up knowing how to use a computer. And learning the esoteric names used by Microsoft for things that are called something else by everyone else wasn’t very helpful either. Throw in that we were learning on Office 2003 right before 2007 came out, and it would be useless even if they were giving information I didn’t already know.

Then again, I took the class because it was free to me and an easy A, when I could have paid money and tested out, so I can’t complain too much! :smiley:

I really was into the English Renaissance, the history, the literature, the goings-on in Europe. I signed up for a class in Renaissance History.

First day the teacher says it is 100% graded on a paper we have to write comparing something in one area of Europe with the other. Like literature in Italy to literature in England.

And our text book, although it wasn’t a text book since we didn’t have texts or tests but every week he would lecture on something from "The Waning of the Middle Ages" which was currently out of print but he would leave a copy on reserve at the library. (remember this is in the dawn of time, aka late 1980s the Gutenberg Project and AbeBooks.com are a while in the future)

He wouldn’t give us an outline for the paper, and at the time it seemed to nebulous a prospect to put 100% of my course grade on a paper with a vague topic, with an out of print text and vague lecture format. (some days I will lecture, but most days I will have office hours if you want to discuss your paper)

I dropped that and took History of Africa and the Caribbean instead, which was more structured, had in-print course books (The Black Jacobins was one, I can’t remember others) and gave me a bit of insight into Haiti.

Voice Techniques. I took it because I was scheduled for a particularly brutal semester and needed a free period. In the first class the teacher basically said that it was pointless to show up because he was basically going to teach what was in the textbook. I ended up with an A- as the tests were surprisingly difficult. The class is basically what it sounds like. It’s in the arts curriculum and teaches you the proper way to speak. It has a touch of science but not a whole hell of a lot.

I can’t remember the name. It was sort of an acting class. Kind of. We did things like act out young children’s books, meditate, talk about our feelings. We had to keep a daily journal of our thoughts.

One day we got to “walk like kings and queens.” The professor said “this may be your only time to walk down the aisle as if you own the world.”

Basically if you showed up for every class and wrote in your journal you got an A.

Logic & Argumentation. It was supposed to be a class about logical argument, classical fallacies, and the like. Instead, it was a semester of indoctrination presided over by a radical Marxist who only assigned texts written by other radical Marxists and self-published by their crappy fake academic press. The word “syllogism” was never mentioned. The syllabus was one vague paragraph and there was never any plan to the lecture; he would just stand there and sort of wing it for 90 minutes, talking about how everything we know about European history is a lie.

(The only thing worse than the class itself was the prof’s seething contempt for everyone around him. Somehow I managed to get a B.)