What was this pool like game?

Flipping through the back channels, I came across a game of pool or billiards, except that there was only three balls, yellow, orange, and white. The most notable thing about the game was that the pool table didn’t have pockets. I watched it for a bit, but it seemed so pointless that I moved on, but I still wonder what the hell they were playing.

The second ball is actually red.

There are several games played on a billiard table, just as there are many different games of pool played on a pool table.

3-cushion is the billiard game of pros, much as 14.1 is the pool game of pros.

If you think running 20 or 30 balls in 14.1 is hard, try 3-cushion some time. It’ll make you cry.

Harold:
Well, ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I’m a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I’m always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Did ya ever take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-rail billiard shot?
But just as I say,
It takes judgment, brains, and maturity to score
In a baulk line game,
I say that any boob can take
And shove a ball in a pocket.
And they call that sloth.

I once ran seven balls in Stripes and Solids and hooked myself on the eight ball: cue ball was just on the edge of the pocket at the top of the table, nestled behind the cushion; eight-ball was just on the edge of the pocket on the foot of the table, nestled against the cushion; and the cushions blocked the direct shot. The bank shot of course would have required that there be no middle pocket on the opposite rail. :expressionless:

The middle pocket being on the line of the natural angle is not too uncommon in pool and snooker; the remedy is usually to aim at a point on the cushion just above the middle pocket, while imparting sidespin (aka English) on the cue ball such that it breaks off the cushion at a wider angle. Not an easy shot to aim and execute successfully, of course.

And larger than a standard size pool table.
A thing of beauty to watch, a horror to play if you haven’t mastered English.

As documented by Disney way back in 1959.
https://www.billiardsmovies.com/donald-mathmagic-land/