What was wrong with Vincent Gray in The SIxth Sense?

Open spoilers, of course. Not that everyone hasn’t already seen this.

Anyway, after unsuccessfully googling this question, I’m wondering if the reason Vincent Gray shot Malcolm (Bruce Willis’s character) at the beginning of the movie was ever stated, or if there’s an agreed-upon theory? How did Dr. Crowe fail Vincent?

I think Vincent was supposed to have been able to see dead people too.

Vincent had exactly the same problem as Cole (Haley Joel Osment). He saw dead people. Malcolm failed to help him with this problem.

Note that Vincent had the little white patch in his hair, the same as Cole. A marker of the “sees dead people” ability, I guess.

Remember when Cole goes into his cellar to listen to old tapes? He is listening to the tapes of his old sessions with Vincent. That’s when he turns the volume way up on the recording and realizes that Vincent was seeing dead people back then the same as Cole is now.

All the dead people finally drove Vincent over the edge, but Malcolm successfully helps Cole figure out how to deal with the dead.

Took me about six viewings of the movie before I got this. :smack: Yes, you’re right.

Cool, thanks for the quick answers. That’s poetic. I’m rewatching it for the first time since I first saw it, and I’m not all the way through it yet.

That should have been Malcolm going into the cellar to listen to tapes, of course.

Yeah, this is the “closer/bookend” to the whole story - Malcolm was still here after his death, this whole time, because he hadn’t completed something important… and interestingly, he needed Cole to do his job helping people sort of ‘close their accounts’ on Earth, to be able to go. They helped each other out.