What was your first election, who did you first vote for?

1996, Bill Clinton’s second term.

Late 1987- Voted for Wes Perry in a special election for District Six Water Commissioner.

1. Arthur Caldwell. (Not all elections are held in the United States). Harold Holt won the election, and disappeared the next year. Caldwell having lost the election, he was shortly afterwards repaced as Leader iof the Opposition by Gough Whitlam.

I’m glad to hear you’re one of those conservatives who never complained about Hillary Rodham Clinton’s “carpetbagging” in New York.

I’m pleased to discover that I live in a state with no Republicans, apparently.

First election was the '98 midterms - voted down the line Republican.

First presidential - 2000 - voted for Gore.

Ain’t that a kick in the pants? Pesky things, those votes.

1976, at age 19, for Carter. I don’t regret any of my votes; win or lose, they’ve always been for the person I felt best suited for the office. I lie - I’ve always felt a little queasy about voting for Warner for Senate when I lived in Virginia.

Hell… with that.

Me: '84, Mondale. I was 18 and stupider.

1996, Bill Clinton’s second term. My dad nearly disowned me for registering as a Democrat. Voting Kerry this year and, oddly enough, so is my dad.

'92, I wasted my vote on Perot. :smack:

I thought it was a little silly, but no, I never complained about it.

My first election must have been a midterm, but the first vote I actually remember casting was for Al Gore in 2000. Since then, I have kept a perfect record of always voting for the loser. Which must explain why I still want to vote Dean this year.

I voted for John Anderson in my first presidential election at the tender age of 18. I guess I’ve always had a soft spot for Republicans with Democratic tendencies. And I hadn’t been terribly impressed with Carter as Govenor or President (I lived through both) or Reagan as an actor or governor (I mostly avoided both). Plus I thought that once Carter got us registered there was a good chance that Reagan would get us drafted. In hindsight Carter was a very good human being who was perhaps out of his element as President. And Reagan played a great president in the role he was apparently born to play, since he got away with a lot of really bad sh&t and is still canonized.

Ah, the joys of voting in odd-numbered years! I turned 18 in 1977, and the most significant race on my first ballot was for mayor of North Olmsted, Ohio. I opted for the eminently forgettable Robert Swietyniowski (Democrat), who ended up ousting long-time incumbent Ralph Christman.

My ffrst presidential choice was Ed Clark (Libertarian) in '80. I’ve always supported quixotic White House bids, and will keep my streak alive this year. That way, I can always play the “Don’t blame me” card once the winner starts to screw up…

1. Mondale. Registered in New York, voted absentee while in college in Massachusetts.

Why, yes, I did nearly die from the excitement. :smiley:

My first election? Well, I was running for President of my 7th grade class and stupidly voted for my opponent, thinking that was the polite thing to do. I lost the election by one vote. My father, who at the time was Mayor of my home town, laughedandlaughedandlaughed when he heard about that!

Presidential election? Well, does the Primary count? I voted for Eugene McCarthy in 1968…not only did I vote for him, but I volunteered to work on his campaign and on the day of the election, they sent me (white dude with shoulder length hair and bell bottoms) to the meanest, scariest ghetto in Chicago to “get out the vote”. To my surprise, pimps, hos and drug dealers were coming up to me and thanking me for being there and trying to get people to vote.

The gubernatorial-recall election in California.

I voted for Trek Thunder Kelly. (I didn’t agree with a lot of Arnie’s economic policies, but thought the Democrats running were all total weenies. And I liked and agreed with most of Kelly’s platform. Still do.)
Ranchoth
(Make love AND war!)

My first three general elections in Britain, I voted the same way, for Margaret Thatcher.

In upcoming Legislative Council elections in Hong Kong, I will vote for a fellow called Leung Kwok Hung, better known as “Logn Hair”. If anyone remembers Screaming Lord Sutch and his Monster Raving Looney Party (or indeed Sodoff Baldrick standing in the rotten borough of Dunney-in-the-Wolde), Long Hair is cast from a similar mould.

His major policy platform, actually his only platform, is to get rid of Chief Executive Tung Chi-hwa, which is good enough in my book. Better to vote for him than for some lousy lawyer pretending to be a democrat.

(Okay, Maggie also had a law degree but she was a scientist first and foremost and didn’t dirty her hands in litigation so far as I know.)

Voted for Mcgovern in 1972.As I remember it was the biggest landslide in history for that TrickyDickyDude.I was so disgusted I decided to never vote again,and I haven’t.

Until this year,that is.Whoever has the best chance to beat the ignorant evil that is George Bush will get my vote.

Please don’t let me jinx it again,god.I’ll go from atheist to agnostic if you’ll help us.OK? You’re supposed to be on this countrys’ side,right?Right?

Way back when ** Swampbear** and I were youngsters, Georgia was only one of two states in the Union (the other, I believe, was Kentucky) that allowed 18 year-olds to vote. So my first ballot was cast in November 1970. I voted for Jimmy Carter for Governor of Georgia and Andrew Young for US House of Representatives.

My first presidential ballot was in '72, for McGovern.

I knew there’d be some good liberal votes from you. I remember in 1968, when I was in first grade, where we all had to decide if we’d vote for Nixon or Humphrey and then try to encourage the other kids to vote for the candidate we favored. I don’t even remember which side I was on, just that it was kind of exciting to pretend you might be able to influence who was going to be President.