What will Windows Longhorn be?

I am looking for information on the next version of Windows codenamed Longhorn.
Will it be built on Windows XP?
When is it due to be released?
What will it be able to do?
Given the current specifications what might the system requirements be
and will I need a new processor to run it?

Longhorn is an entirely new OS. It has some nice graphics control, and integrates a common user list, and has some other nice features. It is much more Internet / network savvy, and really blurs the distinction between Windows and Web applications.

The beta version I have has the following requirements:
CPU: 800 MHz
RAM: 256MB
Graphics: GPU Dx7 support (Dx9 recommended)
Display: min resolution of 1024x768 at 32 bits/pixel
VRAM: 32 MB at min resolution (64 MB recommended)

I think they said first quarter of 2005, but don’t quote me on that.

You can find out more at http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/community/newsgroups/default.aspx

but what will longhorn do for me?

Software companies have to make a profit , and the only way to do so is to keep forcing “upgrades” on the consumers.
But after a while , you reach a point where the product doesnt need improving, and people arent going to pay to change their ways of working.

for the average user, Windows does pretty much everything you need. Most people (and offices) only need the basics–a word processor, database program,and internet access.
And most people are very, very used to working with the computer they’ve know for the past 5-10 years. Windows 95,98,xp, --etc all do essentially the same thing. The internal changes arent important to most users–secretaries who type documents, or accountants using spreadsheets, or any other non-techno-geek profession.

So why does Bill Gates think I will want to pay for longhorn?

For one thing, Longhorn will allow seamless searching of all file types.

For instance say you have a boatload of Word docs, a bunch of plain old text files, some Excel spreadsheets, and an Access database all on your machine. Once upon a time you stored some old bank account numbers in one of those entities and now you need the info. How do you find it?

Current Windows does allow for searching in this manner.

Now that’s only one nifty thing they’ve added; check out WinSupersite for all the details.

You decide if they’re worth the upgrade.

Because older versions aren’t available anymore. Most people would be happy with the funtions in WordPad, but if you need a spread sheet, you have to get excel, and it’s not sold separately. I do a lot of writing, being a writer/journalist, but I can honestly say that for everyday use, I still use the same stuff I used in Word 2.0, 12 years ago. To bad I lost the install disks when moving some years ago.
So it can do html now? Well, I prefer Dreamweaver or some of the Adobe products.

Not only that, but as computers grow bigger and more powerful, programming/coding gets sloppier. We’ll soon be at the pint where all applications ship on DVDs and it only results in more functions that no one uses, bulkier programs with more ways to screw up. I still marvel at old NES games, like Zelda, which managed to fit everything in 64k. An empty Word2000 document is 19k.

I use Media Player Classic which handles all formats, including that damned QuickTime, doesn’t bother me with a lot of razamataz or tries to connect to the 'Net the whole time and try to sell me stuff. It plays DVDs too. And it’s freeware.

I was happy with Windows 3.1. It ran Word, Excel and Access very well.
I believe each “improvement” of Windows has made things worse.
Has anyone had to mess around with the Windows Registry of Win 2000 or XP? What a pain in the ass.

I consder myself computer savvy but I had a dreadful time of trying to network 1 computer to another. I was happy when I got them to share the modem. I have heard and read that many other people (including network administrators) have extreme difficulty in setting up a home network using Windows.

So as far as Windows Longhorn - sure I can’t wait to buy it so everything becomes useless. (Whatever happened to backward compatibility?)

Yes my next version of Windows will be a Mac. Screw that Redmond, Washington foolishness.

You can buy Excel separately from Office, but with that price, why would you?

Longhorn is going to be bloated with all kinds of pretty stuff, include a few cool sounding things that don’t really mean much to the average user (how many AOLers are going to get excited about WinFS?), and be used mainly to justify forced upgrades for corporations who need to be on the latest version of Windows in order to maintain proper licenses.

Time to get my MCSE updated.

Microsoft needs to spend more time concentrating on the stability and security of an existing version of Windows than on developing a new version, but there’s no money in that.

Hopefully, the amount of time they’re taking and the supposed new focus on security will make Longhorn better on the first release instead of having to wait for a service pack. Windows XP has been the best of the Windows versions for me, but it had so many patches right after the initial release, that they should have waited another 6 months and taken care of those problems instead of releasing it when they did.

I just hope I can turn all the Longhorn 3-D GUI crap off.

Since this is sliding into rants about the OS, I’ll throw mine in: I agree with the above about being forced to upgrade. While the OS may be fine and meet your needs, you will eventually be forced to upgrade since software you want or need to purchase won’t be compatible. The situation is worse now that everything is networked since once support is dropped for older Windows products, security patches are no longer released. Then it goes beyond a hassle to not upgrade to downright dangerous to your computer.

While I have only upgraded when forced, from Win 3.1 to 95 to 98 then ME, XP has impressed me, except that it seems much, much slower than 98, even thought I have XP on a faster machine than 98 and eventually ME was installed on. Another very odd thing, the update alert has a new update for the OS almost every day, sometimes twice a day. Does the OS have that many bugs in it?

I’ve always noticed a kind of “anti-upgrade syndrome”. When an upgrade arrives, people always like the previous system. Even with Windows 3.11, I met people who preferred the old Dos text environment (it’s the same syndrome when they hated the “new” typewriters machine, centuries ago).

When Windows XP was coming, I was anxious to try it. But it’s the only upgrade I didn’t like. But it is because I find it confusing and very buggy. I would like to have its virtues but not its defects in Windows 2000.

So, I will expect a better and delightful change from Longhorn. Changes are always… refreshing.

Grousser, while most people simply don’t like change, my phobia about it is spending money. To me spending money to upgrade from an OS which suits me fine is like chewing on barbed wire.

Grousser
Heck I like change IF it doesn’t cause further confusion or cost me money.
Hell, I changed 1 computer from Win 98 to Win 2000 and then my CD Burner didn’t work. (I needed a new driver from the company and some USB cable). Speaking of USB, I recently bought a printer but it did NOT come with a USB cable. I went to Staples, and they had a 6 foot USB cable for 20 bucks !!! Oh but this is the NEW USB cable that sends data zillions of times faster. Come on, in a prineter cable do you really need that lightning fast speed? I think $taples likes to stock the fa$ter cable$ because the old ones went for what $6? Were’s the profit in that?

As I said, I like change. If I were so resistant to new things, I wouldn’t be usin’ this mangy varmint computery machine would I?

You know, you might find that the spreadsheet program in OpenOffice.org suitable for your needs. Word processor, too. The Windows port runs great on my Windows 2000 machine, was easy to install, and the interface looks a lot more professional than most other free, open source software.

Granted, I haven’t had opportunity to make extensive use of the programs in the suite yet, but if it’s good enough for the Israeli Ministry of Commerce to dump MS Office for, it’s probably good enough for most users.

Don’t forget about its controversial security measures

Cryptographers and security firms are taking opposite sides on the potential privacy dangers of so-called trusted computing, an initiative to use encryption to keep information secure from hackers and, in some cases, the PC’s user

“Large media corporations, together with such companies as Microsoft and Intel, are planning to make your computer obey them instead of you.”

Longhorn has a lot of new functionality in it that could easily lead to a new ‘killer app’. It’s not just a minor upgrade – it’s a complete rewrite of the operating system. The biggest codebase change since Windows 95.

There’s a whole new ‘services’ model for extending software across the desktop and linking it all together (plus distributed internet applications). The browser will be heavily redesigned to use the new OS features. The user interfaces will be based on a structured markup language, allowing all sorts of neat tricks, customization, and extensibility.

It looks really cool. The trick is whether Microsoft can pull it off with decent security and quality in the 2005 timeframe.

The latest word is that Longhorn won’t show up until “early” 2006.

Of course, by then, MacOS X will be up to version 10.6 or so, and will have even more innovations for Microsoft to “discover” on their own. :wink:

Because you were gullible enough to buy all those other versions of Windows before? :smiley:

you know people, if you were getting your software bootleg you would appreaciate the fact that its getting better, not worse.

XP is the best of all windows yet. after i moved my system to a new case with Antec power supply and good cooling the freaking thing hadn’t crashed once in like half a year. then i bought a hitachi hard drive and within a week lost a partition and 80 gigs of data with it :slight_smile: it was the fault of older motherboard’s bios not quite being able to handle ATA133 drive, with new motherboard i am back to crash-free operation for about 2 months now.

Its great that MS has conditioned us to think that just by not crashing means a good OS.

I really hope that you aren’t admitting to doing this yourself, and advocating that other folks do the same.

So? I’m running SuSe Linux, and don’t even have a reset button on my PC - I haven’t missed it since I dumped Windows. The only crashed I’ve ever had were during software development when my own software got out of hand - and even then they only take the graphics system down. I just pop over to text console and kill my crazed program and continue working.

Yes. My PC literally does not have a reset button. A few years back the motherboard died, and I had to replace it and the power supply (the old stuff was AT, the new was ATX.) The new powersupply wanted a push button for on/off so I gave it the reset button. The old power switch is unemployed.

As for your harddrive problems:
What do you expect when you are playing with a kiddie system? After a head crash (never push your wheeled computer desk over a cable while the disk is writing,) I installed a new one and used dd to copy everything off of the old one. I accidently copied to the harddisk instead of a partition, and used a file system on an unpartitioned harddrive for two years before I noticed. Even then it wouldn’t have mattered, but the SuSe update system wouldn’t allow me to enter a drive designation without a partition designation.

As for me, I’ll stay away from Microsoft operating systems. Trusted computing and those little encryption modules just seem way to much like somebody else controlling my hardware. Thank you, no. I’ll just go on writing Windows software and compiling it under Linux and I’ll let someone else worry about the OS.

XP is the best Windows yet?
Hmm that’s like saying Lethal Injection is the best execution method yet. Quite the improvement over being drawn and quartered, burnt at the stake, hanged, electrocuted, etc.
Still if you are on the receiving end of it, the end result is the same.
(Didn’t mean to hijack this into a capital punishment discussion. Just trying to make a ridiculous comparison).
Oh and lest I forget my manners, Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

My 2¢ worth: Now that the 98 SE is running with all patches installed, I’ll upgrade only when something vital such as antivirus and firewall protection is no longer available for that OS.

Then again, my truck has 370K miles on it, and I’ve rebuilt the engine once…

Wanders off muttering about darn kids…5 function calculators were as big as a dog and cost a month’s wages…uphill both ways…