What woman in history do you dislike the most?

Yes, Thatcher is the name that sprang immediately to my mind too.

Another one wondering why Boudicca. Since when has revolting against colonial occupiers been considered a bad thing? I grew up in the area and she was always portrayed pretty positively.

At this moment, Marjory Taylor Green. She seems to be a c- word just for the sake of being a c- word.

I’m pretty sure that she is severely mentally ill. Nobody can be in their right mind and believe 1/10 of the garbage she spits out.

Heh. For no particularly relevant reason, one of my Facebook friends just posted this:
https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2016/09/06/phyllis-schlaflys-husband-finally-grants-her-permission-to-enter-hell-internet-rejoices

What had her front and center in my mind was I was listening to the Stuff You Should Know Podcast, and they mentioned her. I think I prefer not thinking about her.

Looted public resources in order to funnel millions into the pockets of her cronies; called the poor “scroungers” for getting a pittance in benefits. Definitely a nasty little hypocrite.

Outside the 20th century I’d probably go with Bathory if her reputation is remotely accurate.

There’s a HUGE difference between being mentally ill and being an asshole who spews out hateful, irrational opinions at the drop of a hat. One can be both, but most assholes are not mentally ill. And vice versa.

Queen Mary I is right up there with Jezebel. I can’t think of any worse at the moment.

While that sounds like awful governance, I don’t see any hypocrisy there.

It wasn’t “awful governance”; it was outright corruption. And the hypocrisy is that she criticised poor people for living off the taxpayers while she and her friends funnelled vastly more taxpayer money into their own pockets.

Um, because he felt Mother Theresa was? It was right in the post, after that sentence you quoted.

Besides, this thread is about women. And Hitler was not a woman.

So what was your point?

Yep. Elizabeth Báthory, she put the “Vamp” in vampire.

An estimated 70,000–80,000 Romans and British were killed in the three cities by those following Boudica,[7] many by torture.[7]…Dio’s account gives more detail; that the noblest women were impaled on spikes and had their breasts cut off and sewn to their mouths, “to the accompaniment of sacrifices, banquets, and wanton behaviour” in sacred places, particularly the groves of Andraste.

Sure, she had a grievance and if she had just taken that out on the legions, that would have been just revenge.

But she tortured and killed men, women and children, many of whom werent even romans.

You know, the Brits loved Thatcher when she was in office: Having led the Conservative Party to victory in three consecutive general elections, twice in a landslide, she ranks among the most popular party leaders in British history in terms of votes cast for the winning party; over 40 million ballots were cast in total for the Conservatives under her leadership.[381][382][383] Her electoral successes were dubbed a “historic hat trick” by the British press in 1987.[384]

We hated trump too, but we got rid of him after one term, the Brits brought Thatcher back again and again.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

:wink:

^ Crucifixion?

The historical accuracy of those accounts is disputed. Mostly because no archaeological evidence has ever been found to which corroborate death and war at that scale during that time.

From that same wiki page: Archaeology shows a thick red layer of burnt debris covering coins and pottery dating before AD 60 within the bounds of Roman Londinium;[30] while Roman-era skulls found in the Walbrook in 2013 may have been victims of the rebels.[31] Excavations in 1995 revealed that the destruction extended across the River Thames to a suburb at the southern end of London Bridge.[32]

Now however:
The municipium of Verulamium (modern St Albans) was next to be destroyed. Archeological evidence for this event is very limited. A major excavation by Mortimer Wheeler and his wife Tessa in the early 1930s found little trace of it, perhaps because they are now known to have been working away from the area which was settled in the early Roman occupation. Another excavation by Sheppard Frere between 1957 and 1961 revealed a row of shops alongside Watling Street which had been burned at around 60 AD, but the full extent of the destruction remains unclear.[33]

So yeah, plenty of evidence London was burned. Of course we dont have any solid evidence that those horrible things happened to her, either. So, if we accept she had a legit grievance, then we also have to accept she went over the line.

Queen Isabella of Spain.
Bigot.
Fanatic.
Egged-on the Inquisition.
Slavery in the New World.
Generally a jerk.