What would a post-Prop 19 California look like?

It looks at least somewhat likely now that the nation’s largest state will legalize marijuana this year.

Wikipedia has a good summary of the law and what exactly its passage means in a legal sense here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_19_(2010)

What other ways do you see it affecting California?

Will the federal government step in at all? They have a right to, but aren’t showing the will, to my knowledge.

Will it save California’s economy?

Is increased tourism built into the revenue projections?

Will employers in other states drug test their employees if they know they are returning from a trip to California? Can they, legally?

What kind of cultural impact will it have?

What sorts of negative effects might it have?

If it becomes a huge fiscal boon to California, would you be ok with legalizing it federally, and knowing that getting high helped get us out of the financial crisis?

Say it is wildly successful in CA, and becomes federal law. Some state will prove to be the best place to grow the country’s marijuana, and will probably end up having a marijuana-based economy. Would you be ok with this?

I don’t think it will be salvation for the economy. It’s cheap and easy to grow privately if you don’t have to worry about the feds, right? That would keep prices relatively low, I’d think, and limit the revenue generated.

Tobacco can be grown by anyone as well, though most people don’t bother. Not that I, um, have any specific knowledge here, but, er, the quality (as well as the potency) varies wildly in the home grown variety. My guess is that, given the chance, most people will buy manufactured brands that have some consistency (and convenience), and forgo cultivating their own.

As to the OP:

I seriously doubt it.

They may need to do some fairly extensive retraining of their police force. Along those same lines, they will need some sort of breathalyzer testing gear to determine if someone is over the limit for MJ intoxication and attempting to operate their vehicle…which means they will also need to set some sort of standards similar to those set for alcohol consumption. I’m sure there will be myriad other issues that would need to be addressed both legally and structurally to implement this sort of thing.

Gods know. My WAG is that the Fed will take a wait and see attitude, though I suppose they might take steps to pressure Cal. into not implementing such a program (through cutting off Federal funding or similar actions).

I’d be fine if MJ were legal in similar ways to alcohol and cigarettes, so yeah…fine by me. I think it will be a bit more complicated and initially costly than many people assume it will be, but I have no doubt that all the legal and procedural stuff can be taken care of fairly quickly. In the end I see it saving the US hundreds of millions or even billions in lowered enforcement costs alone…and this doesn’t even get into the tax revenue which I assume would be comparable to cigarettes or booze.

-XT

• Will it save California’s economy?

Probably not but it will help and may help a lot. Enforcement costs are huge expenses, legal system expenses, incarceration expenses are substantial. It will take some time for the effects to be felt but those savings are substantial. Add in perhaps medical expenses from gang violence and related enforcement on that count.

Now add in tax revenue (marijuana is far and away the biggest selling crop in the US) and perhaps some additional drug tourism and the net result for California is decidedly positive from an economic standpoint. I doubt enough to solve all their woes and certainly not in the short term but it will undoubtedly help.

• Will employers in other states drug test their employees if they know they are returning from a trip to California? Can they, legally?

Do they do this now if you return from a trip to Amsterdam?

I imagine drug testing policies will remain the same. Doing your job or diving while under the influence are already illegal (or will get you fired) and I doubt that will change.

• What sorts of negative effects might it have?

I am hard pressed to think of any. Time will tell but in other countries where they legalized marijuana the amount of people smoking pot went down. I suppose there would be an initial rise in use from the novelty but that would wear off quick enough. After that usage is likely to drop below current levels if other country’s experiences are any measure.

Passing the initiative is one thing. Setting up the infrastructure, etc. is a whole 'nother story. It will still be quite a while before anyone takes that first legal (in California, anyway) puff.

There must be some stipulation on this. I can’t imagine it selling more than cotton, wheat, soy, tobacco, or king corn.

Well, I don’t know a lot of post-college age people who go to Amsterdam. On the other hand, I live in a red state from which California is a very common weekend trip. LA is only about a 4 and a half hour drive from Phoenix. I could see it being an issue here.

I doubt that very much. We already have load and loads of medical MJ dispensaries in the state. More than a few of them will open their doors to the whole of age public within hours of the initiative being officially passed. I almost never partake anymore but I’m going to be one of the first in line to buy an eighth if 19 passes just because I can.

A word to the wise: don’t head back to Phoenix on I-8. There’s a checkpoint just east of Yuma that’s notorious for catching LOTS of people coming in from California.

San Diego Reader article

Dude, Prop. 19 will change everything. People will be all mellow, and there won’t be any crime, and a cheeseburger would taste so bitchin’ right about now.

What were me talking about again?

I’ll tell you what it’ll look like: sink piled up with dishes, ash-smudged pizza boxes littering the coffee table, cat food scattered near its dish on the kitchen floor, and a preponderance of ceramic kitsch in the form of skulls, mushrooms, and gnomes with half-lidded eyes. And that’s just the day-care centers!

I guess I should say largest cash crop as opposed to physical amount harvested. On the cash measure it blows everything else away.

Of course if it was legal prices would undoubtedly drop.

Kind of curious on this one.

It is one thing for your employer to determine you broke the law and fire you. Since currently smoking marijuana is illegal everywhere in the US this is not an issue.

Can they do the same if you do something legal? If they decide McDonald’s food is unhealthy and impacts their employees adversely can they fire you if they catch you with a Big Mac?

Certainly drug testing where it is important the employee is sober (e.g. school bus driver) makes sense but smoking a joint (legally) on Saturday will get you busted on Monday even if you are sober?

Sure. People frequently get fired for doing legal things on their own time. At-will employment means that an employer can fire an employee for almost any non-discriminatory reason they choose.

So they could put a policy in place forbidding their employees from eating at McDonald’s and fire them if they catch them doing so?

I dunno…seems like that shouldn’t be doable but maybe it is.

Will Dave be there or not?

Well, in 2003 a Coke employee was apparently fired for drinking a Pepsi while in uniform.

Schlemmer!!!

Fair enough but then you can (and should) get fired for smoking a joint while at work.

What about what you do (legally) on your own time?

Oh abso-fucking-lutely not.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but haven’t we voted on and passed legalization before? I remember voting for some pot initiatives in the past. Maybe I’m getting local ordinances confused with state law