What would be the best five states to control in a divided US?

It’s a common trope for the US to be divided into various territories by rival nations, villains, factions etc.

My question is if the US was conquered and divided into territories by various groups what would be the five best contiguous states to control and why (assuming nuclear weapons aren’t a factor)?

An example would be California, New Mexico, Arizona, Texas and Louisiana.

I’d go with that and trade Louisiana for Oregon (OR has a higher GDP and a much lower poverty rate than LA. More land, too.) I have lots of problems with Texas, but I want those Atlantic ports.

I’d want to control several states linked together and also take an entire coast. For me, the best would be the 3 west coast states (Washington, Oregon, California.)

There are various states many politicians attempt to control. Offhand, excluding geography, I can think of the states of:
Panic
Fear
Anger
Sadness
Disgust

Once their constituents are in any or all of those states, you point your finger across the aisle and proclaim, “It’s all their fault.”

California + 4 more states is probably the best answer.

For a second-place bet, I’m looking at New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. Four of them are top-10 state GDPs, and while we’d only get one major port, it’s a doozy. We’d have a good mix of industries, and we’d be well-positioned to continue trading with Canada.

But you won’t have full control of that port unless you also take New Jersey.

Google tells me its address is in New York, so we’ll claim it. New Jersey can complain but they’ll shut up real quick when I send my Hoosier Brigades across the border.

And Pittsburgh is an excellent location for a Capitol, defense-wise. At least, if you’re fighting zombies.

You forgot the state of denial, one of the most important states for a politician.

First we take Manhattan.

mmm

Honestly, doing this by states is silly as the North East is so important but the states are often tiny. You would take the NYC metro area and expand from there.

But going by states California to Louisiana makes the most sense. A huge part of the west coast, major Gulf ports, controlling the Mississippi Delta.

There are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn’t advise you to try to invade.

Assuming that you’re going to be in conflict with the other factions of the former United States, you’d want to think about defensible boundaries. I’d probably go with CA, OR, WA, NV and AZ, which would give you the Rocky Mountains and southwestern deserts as natural barriers to invaders. You’d also have good options for defense in depth, using the Sierras as a fallback line as you force those filthy Kansans to bleed for every inch they take across the Great Basin and Mojave Desert.

Denial is in Egypt, so not contiguous.

I assume you’re referring to the delta of the Miississippi river, near New Orleans? That’s not the same thing as what’s known as the Mississippi Delta, in the northwest corner of the state of Mississippi. It’s not technically a delta, but an alluvial floodplain. Hence the frequent mixup with the delta of the Mississippi.

This is a very silly nitpick:

No one cares about whatever you posted. Mississippi Delta and Mississippi River Delta mean the same thing to most people.

It’s either the West Coast + some other western states, spelled out nicely above, or the mid-atlantic group of: NY, NJ, PA + either OH/MI or MD/VA. I think I’d go with Maryland and Virginia because you get a lot of military and industrial infrastructure plus you control the DC area.

To position us for the upcoming water wars:

• Minnesota
  • Wisconsin
  • Illinois
  • Michigan
  • Indiana or Ohio

=========

As a retreat from the madness:

• Maine
  • New Hampshire
  • Vermont
  • Massachusetts
  • Rhode Island

Oh, and I’m willing to jettison Mass. and RI if the heathens of Pennslyorkjersicut come looking for trouble. And then I’d try to get annexed by Canada.

If you take Danville, you could control the whole tri-state area.

Texas seems like a must-have. 3 of the top 10 ports in the country by tonnage, by far the most oil production in the US, roughly 10% of the country’s population, fourth largest agricultural producer, tenth largest lumber producer, and so on.

It has a GDP that’s 2.3 trillion dollars; that puts it between France and Italy somewhere, and 2nd in the US behind California’s 3.5 trillion.