What would Jesus do?

In the Old Testament, there are numerous instances where the Faithful Few are Delivered and ther rest face oblivion: Noah and the Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, Jericho.

Jesus Christ preached a life peace and compassion to one’s fellow man.

The “Son of Man” is supposed to be one in being with the Father, yet the Savior and Redeemer seems quite unlike the wrathful Creator.

What would Christ do if He were dropped in Jericho, or Sodom and Gomorrah?

Exactly what He did do- as a Trinitarian Christian, I believe that He was the one who warned Abraham of the destruction of Sodom & let him intercede for them, and sent His angels to give Sodom one last test which it failed, and that He met with Joshua as Commander of The Lord’s Host.

Note that Jesus spoke of The Deluge & The Destruction of Sodom and NEVER suggested that he did not approve of them.

Jesus also spoke of His Return as being a pretty ruthless business.

In Luke 17:28-30 Jesus describes the situation at His return and uses Sodom as an example of indifference; careless living :

“Likewise as it was in the days of Lot—they ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built, but on the day when Lot went out from Sodom fire and sulfur rained from heaven and destroyed them all—so will it be on the day when the Son of man is revealed.”

Archaeologists have found what they believe is the lost city of Sodom and Gomorrah. Completely burned with balls of sulfur embedded in the soil. I saw a program on the History Channel about it.

Cite, please.

Oh, that settles it then. :rolleyes:

Sodom and Gomorrah seemed easier then some of the places Jesus visited

When people fail to be motivated by Love, God will use anything, including death and hell to get through to the people that their way is not good.

Yup. Killing me and sending me to hell forever would certainly change my mind-but it’s just a mite too late by then, don’tcha think?

I take it that this last sentence above indicates that the ones before it are a joke. I hope.

I was visited last week by Jehovah’s Witnesses, who quoted Bible verses from both Joshua and Matthew, and I told them what I had heard before - it’s as if sometime between the Old and New Testaments, God stopped drinking!

Take that stuff with a grain of salt, but I saw that show, too, and they didn’t say it was those cities. They found cities from roughly that time frame in roughly that area that might have inspired the story in the Bible. Lots of qualifiers there.

kanicbird’s bird presupposed a temporary hell.

Anyway, to the OP, the fact stands- Jesus is recorded to have spoken of the Deluge & the destruction of Sodom as examples of God’s righteous Judgment & to have consistently referred to the Old Testament God as his Father in Whose Name he goes about his own mission of teaching, healing, helping & also prophesying the same Divine Judgment on those who reject him.

So Christians wouldn’t follow the message of “Be nice to one another, do no evil etc.” unless the threat of pain, death and destruction looms in the background? Describes a dysfunctional to me.

That part of the message doesn’t demand much. Christ & Yahweh call for a lot more than that, and some people need a big stick hanging over to motivate them.

Link

http://boards.history.com/topic/Digging-For-The/Sodom-38-Gomorrah/800003815?start=30&#msg700039732

The reason a servant of Jesus does good things is the exact same reason that Jesus Himself does, because they share the same spirit with the Father and is motivated by the same thing Love.

There is no threat of death anymore, the curse of the law (which brings pain and death), is gone and each person knows in their heart that they have eternal life that can never ever be lost. So that is not a motivation.

Also sometimes the Love for others will lead to pain, such as Jesus going to the cross.

I was amazed at how well preserved the sites were and in the same location as the bible stated. The cities and inhabitants were reduced to ash. The sulfur balls were embedded in the ash so they had to rain down on the city from above. I have heard of asteroid showers but not sulfur ball showers. It was an interesting documentary.

That’s quite a claim there, Perciful. Would you mind telling us where the Bible gives the location of Sodom and/or Gomorrah?

And now a message from the Sodom Chamber of Commerce . . .

It also stated that the fire and brimstone could have come from a volcano errupting, and would seem like the fire was coming from the heavens. Some of the salt pillars could look to an imaginative person as a human form(just like Virgin Marys appear in pancakes on walls etc. and all sorts of shapes today) Since the story was written at a later date, it could well have been used by some author to explain to the people he was tying to impress, that it was (like many natural disasters) a wrath of God incident.

The writers seeing there were 2 cities destroyed decided it was Sodom and Gamorrah. Just like the flood story, there were floods so the writers exaggerated the facts to make it more impressive.

People are led more by fear than fact so it was easy to tell people that there were two cities that were evil and God destroyed them. That is the same reasoning Pat Robertson uses today.

While it’s impossible to apply WWJD hypothetically, I disagree with your extrapolation. Let me quote the Master (that Master):

*An Eye for an Eye
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.*
Matthew 5:38-48 NIV

The Trinity is a “mystery” because it’s self-contradictory, not because the one-ness of the three components means their behaviours and teachings are not contradictory. The teachings of Jesus in the NT stand in stark contrast with the teachings of the OT, and only in a handful of places do we see Jesus even really angry. When he is angry, it’s usually in the context of annoyance with OT-type legalism or distortion of worship places (temple money-changers, e.g.). Judgment is presented as being sourced from God the Father; Jesus’s recommended behaviour for those of us here on earth was for forgiveness and charity toward a fellow man–even one’s enemy.

In the context of The Sermon on the Mount, Jesus’ faithfulness as a Jew, and his belief, re-stated in the Sermon, in the Divine Authority of Torah, there is no reason to believe he had any problem with the harshness of Divine Judgments towards Sodom & the other cities, the Deluge, or the God-ordained slaughters of the Conquest, or with the just application of the capital penalties of Torah in the context of their time & place. All his quotes there are talking about personal responses to insults & indignities & offenses- and are within the context of both Torah Law & Roman authorities over their occupied subjects.