What would you do if you met Cecil?

A couple of reactions to his occasional postings made me wonder.

How do you think you would act?

What would you say?

Would you ask him some questions?

I don’t know how I’d react if I met anyone who was a celebrity – even a minor celebrity like Cecil. You wouldn’t want to make a big deal, jump up and down and scream like some teenage groupie or something. I don’t think I’d want to quiz Cecil and ask him all the hard questions I could think of. That could hardly be pleasant for him. I don’t think I could (or should) try to pretend I don’t know I’m talking to someone famous. I guess the polite thing to do is to thank him for his work. If he wants to talk shop that’s his call, not mine. If he’d rather talk about the weather, that’s okay too.

We’ve had a thread or two about shyness already, but I think my natural shyness would preclude any coherent behavior. The few times I’ve been around minor celebrities (local TV people, etc.) I’ve just avoided them because I didn’t know what to do (see opening sentence!) and I thought they’d rather be ignored than bothered.

“If you had manifested fatigue upon noticing that you had been an ass, that would have been logical, that would have been rational; whereas it seems to me that to manifest surprise was to be again an ass.”
Mark Twain
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc

I’d tie him up and demand Ed come to rescue him. Then, seeing both of them in the same room, one of life’s most drastic unsolved mysteries would be settled forever!!

I’d release him after this, naturally…

Yer pal,
Satan

“Minor celebrity like Cecil” ???
“Minor” ???

Man, oh man, don’t let him catch you sayin’ that.

I’d ask him for a job.

I’m qualified.

Not modest. But Qualified.

(Modesty is verboden to SD staffers, you see.) :smiley:

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly

I’d resist the kissing-his-ring routine.
First, it might annoy him
Second, who knows where that ring has been?

I agree w/ Pluto; natural shyness and reserve would keep me from approaching him. Besides, I’ve met precisely 2 real celebrites in my life, and both times were disasters.

Sometimes it’s best to face facts: some of us are destined for greatness and fame, and others are klutzy nonentities. I’m in the second group, so I’ll just admire him from a respectful distance.

Sigh,
Veb

I’d shake his hand. And thank him for a job well done.
– Sylence

“The problem with reality is the lack of background music.” – Anon

I would shake his hand, offer him a glass of wine or a nice latte, and tell him how much I enjoy his column and his books.
Then I would thank him for answering my question :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/990820.html
(sorry, I hate to brag…I just love when Nick gets jealous!!)

I would have sex with him.

Must train fingers not to hit “Tab-Enter” so quickly…

…forgot to put my sig line in… :wink:

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

Why, naturally, I’d fall to my knees and moan, “I’m not werrrrrr-theeeee.”

I’d ask for his autograph.

I can’t believe no one else here said it (well, except ChrisCTP, after a fashion…)

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Sylence and Zette, I’m with you.

I think the best thing to do for someone whose work you’ve enjoyed and has made a positive difference in your life, however minor (not Cecil! NOT applying the adjective “minor” to Cecil in ANY way!) is say “I’ve always enjoyed your work…thanks!”

And then you can have sex with them.

Uke

Zette, you lucky duck! He hasn’t answered any of my questions yet. How did you manage to enclose a sawbuck via the Internet? :wink:

If I met Unca Cecil in person, I’d probably get red-faced and tongue-tied, and say something unbelievably stupid, which I would never be able to live down, although I might be able to laugh about it afterwards. Maybe.

The Cat In The Hat

Shake his hand and thank him for opening my eyes to the light.

I’d ask him the -gry question.

—ducking quickly—

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Sorry, that was uncalled for.

—engaging brain—

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart