What would you do with 5 boxes of Star Trek books

I used to be a big Star Trek fan and I like to read, so I have a pretty massive collection of Star Trek novels. I kinda drifted away from them about a decade ago when they began doing nothing but crossover stories, which annoyed me, and in the fullness of time the books were boxed up and stored. I came across them the other day and though “What in the world can I do with these?”. I’ll probably go through and keep some of them, the really good stories, but most of them I want to get rid of. I could always drop them off at Goodwill or something, but I’m hoping some of you might have a better idea, maybe something that would make me a bit of money, I sure spent enough on them back in the day. Is there a market for these things? Selling them on E-bay for a dollar and a quarter apeace seems like a lot more work than it’s worth, there’s a couple hundred books there. Anyone got any other ideas?

Freecycle? Donate to your local library?

I doubt you’ll make any money off of them if they’re all paper backs. Donating them to Goodwill sounds like your best option, as some kid won’t have trouble talking his mom into buying them for $.25 a piece and he might get just as much enjoyment out of them as you did. If they were ~$7 - $10 each (again, I’m assuming paperback) and you bought them over a decade ago, and enjoyed them, then be happy. Your money was well spent.

anysoldier.com

Half-Priced Books is a good option if there is a store near you. They’ll give you some money for them, not a lot, but it is a pretty good option for unloading books and making a little money with no hassle.

Skeet shooting for charity?

i sent mine to operation paperback mentioned by hello again.

i had mostly orig. series books, only a handful of next generations. i kept about 15-20 books.

very greatful sci-fi fans in iraq got a huge box of downtime fun.

No idea, but when you find out, let me know. My storage unit will thank you. Cheers to a fellow ex-Trekker. :cool:

(Posting to subscribe to thread)

I’d sell them on half.com. Even if you sell one for 99 cents, you can make money on the shipping.

Contribute them to a local science fiction convention. They would be appreciated there, and a lot of fan-run conventions are 501©3 tax deductible.

If you’re interested in trading them for other books, you could put them up on paperbackswap.com. There’s no money to be made, but you will be able to get other books for free (which, depending on the book and its availbility, could actually save you some clams).

I owned 350 Star Trek novels at my peak of Trekkiedom, but found myself in a similar predicament and sold them to my local used book store for credit. I think I got somewhere between $80 and $100.

Pile them up and make a burnt offering to the gods of Literature.

Failing that, find a second-hand bookstore to pay you a bit for them, try to hawk them at a flea market, or find a thrift store that will allow you to donate them (there’s one in my area that lets me do that, huge godsend for getting rid of old books).

I think a general rule is that you can’t make enough money by selling used books to cover the effort it takes to sell them. If they are truly rare, it might be worth something, but even then it’s chancy. So, first of all, you mean your son (your older son, I mean) doesn’t want to read them? Do you know anyone personally who’s a big Star Trek fan? Just give the books to them.

I go to many of the science fiction conventions near you, and I don’t know of any of them which has an event where the books can be sold. There are dealer’s rooms at all of them, of course, but the best you could do is give the books to a dealer for free. The conventions have no event where they can sell books themselves.

A couple of years ago someone gave me a dozen boxes of science fiction magazines with the expectation that I would find them a good home. I picked out the ones that I wanted. I moved the others to a friend’s house who has a big basement. We know lots of science fiction conventions and clubs, but we still haven’t somewhere to give them to.

Give them to charity or get a book credit at a used bookstore.

That’s not true. I’ve taken small stacks of books to the used bookstore (Bookman’s for you Phoenecians reading) - less than a plastic grocery bag full - and gotten $100+ in trade credit (or like $38 in cash.) It’s just that, well, no offense but, used Star Trek paperbacks is a pretty saturated market.

Have you tried building a fort?

Cisco writes:

> I’ve taken small stacks of books to the used bookstore (Bookman’s for you
> Phoenecians reading) - less than a plastic grocery bag full - and gotten $100+
> in trade credit (or like $38 in cash.)

That’s not selling used books. That’s getting store credit. See where I said:

> . . . get a book credit at a used bookstore . . .

For five boxes of Star Trek books, Weirddave might be able to get $200 worth of store credit at a used bookstore (although I think that’s an overestimate). Do you want to buy $200 of books at a used bookstore, Weirddave? I would still recommend a charity rather than a used bookstore.

Wendell, how many times have you been to my house? Did you ever notice the shelves and shelves and shelves of books? Do I want $200 credit to a used book store? Does a baby duck float? :wink:
(The problem is that I have is the used bookstore that I used to patronize closed, and I don’t know of any others around)

See where I said:

> or $38 in cash

Thirty eight bucks is definitely worth the 10 minute drive to the bookstore.

This should be http://www.operationpaperback.org/ actually - .com seems to redirect to an unaffiliated placeholder site.