Whatever happened to Joel Achenbach?

He wrote a column called “Why Things Are” for the Washington Post for years and occasionally published collections of the columns. In 2000 he wrote occasional columns about the presidential campaign and published those in a book. Some time after that he vanished. Anyone know why, or where he is, whether he’s still writing?

Achenbach had one of his “Rough Draft” columns published at washingtonpost.com as recently as this March. See http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A61232-2003Mar20&notFound=true. I note that at the bottom of that column it says

Oh, okay. So he’s still alive, then. Thanks.

i think the real question is “What about Bob?”:dubious:

Yes, I love that kind of book- Cecil Adams, Wm Poundstone, and David Feldman. However, we have seen nothing newbook-wise from any of them in a while, despite very successful series.

I love those William Poundstone books, but they’re getting incredibly out of date now. I think the first Big Secrets book has video game “secrets” in it for games like Space Invaders. I wish he’d write some new ones.

I think Achenbach has mostly moved on to other things. His book a couple years ago was completely unrelated to the “answering questions” type thing.

Captured by Aliens: The Search for Life and Truth in a Very Large Universe is a very good read, but it is also the kind of thing I imagine sucks up a lot of time.