What's in it for the creators of robobot calls concerning medicare plans?

Even though my phone carrier blocks or identifies some, I still get automated calls saying this is a recorded line and “Can you hear me OK?” I never give them the satisfaction of saying “Yes” and, instead, just hang up. My question is why are they so rabid? There must be some sort of big payoff for them to continue this barrage.

You mean other than profit?

An individual robocall costs an almost negligible amount of money to make. A single gulled victim in even as many as 10000 attempts is unreasonably profitable. For whatever reason, something like 2-3% of people answer robocalls. If even 1% of just those parted with some money, it makes the entire enterprise worth it.

What exactly do they say?
I get mail from legitimate insurers trying to get me to switch plans. I don’t get calls, since it seems legitimate Medicare marketers pay attention to the do not call list.
So if you aren’t on the do not call list, get on it, because while it doesn’t work for a lot of spam, it works for this one. Then anyone calling you is crooked by definition.
I’ve found telemarketing guides from legit companies - since almost everyone turning 65 needs to sign up for something, legitimate callers have good reasons to call. I haven’t heard of any scams but I’m sure they are out there.

For telemarketers it’s simply a numbers game as someone has already said. Some people are so lonely that talking to anyone on the phone is better than sitting home alone all day. Some people are so gullible that they will fall for any scam no matter how unreasonable it might sound to you or me. Telemarketers prey on these people because it’s worth their time and effort to do so. It’s as simple as that.

I have learned that not answering a call from a number I don’t know cuts way down on the telemarketing calls I get. The fact that you answer the phone and then hang up tells them it’s a number worth trying again, and again, and again. If it’s a legitimate call the person will leave a message. If they don’t leave a message then it probably wasn’t that important in the first place. So if you get a call from a number you don’t know… as tempting as it may be… don’t answer it.

I never answer, and NoMoRobo hangs up on most of them, but I still get a lot. Many from the same spoofed number, again and again.
I’m interested if anyone has a pointer to calling software sophisticated enough to be adaptive based on answering patterns. It would seem cheaper and easier to just run through the list of numbers again and again. After all, no answer might just mean that the people are out, not that the number is bad. I could maybe see removing disconnected numbers, but even that might not be worth it.
Keeping a record for each of hundreds of thousands of numbers would require a reasonable amount of memory or disk, and updating these records every time you do a call would be slower than just getting the next number on the list and calling it. It’s possible, sure, but I don’t see the benefit. The hangups show that the botteneck are the human scammers, not the call list.