What's not to miss in Atlanta in April?

We (me, wife, two teens) are going to Atlanta, GA for four days in April. I’ve seen the top 10 lists of what to see and do, but can any locals tell me which of the touristy things to avoid and what to see instead? Great restaurants, sights, experiences etc. Planning to see Stone Mountain, Fox Theatre, Oakland Cemetery, CNN Center, Piedmont Park to name a few.

Whaddaya got?

And thanks!

Let’s see, in April the weather should be pretty good with lows in the upper 40’s and highs in the 70’s but there is always a chance of a late cold snap. There are several festivals in April including:
*The Dogwood Festival - artists and entertainers of all stripes converge on Piedmont Park. The namesake dogwood trees should be in bloom (a hopefully the azaleas, too), making for a pretty setting - and it’s free to attend.
*The Sweetwater 420fest - 3 day fest put on by a local brewer at Centennial Olympic Park downtown, it features a huge line up of bands (mostly folk/country/bluegrass I think) and other entertainment. It’s not cheap, though. A general admission ticket runs $125+, though they are good for all 3 days.

Six Flags Over GA will be open every weekend in April, plus weekdays 4/2-4/6 for spring break, if your family is into theme parks

Eat at The Varsity downtown, just off the GA Tech campus. It’s the world’s largest drive-in restaurant. You can do car hop service or eat inside. It seats 800 and is still packed on game days and when other large events are in town. Hamburgers, chili dogs, and onion rings are the staples. Try a Frosted Orange, for sure (FO in Varsity parlance) - it’s like a creamsicle in a cup.

If you like (or haven’t tried) Krispy Kreme doughnuts, the original Atlanta location is a few blocks away and the “hot” light is almost always on.

The Atlanta Braves will be in town about half the time in April, catch a game at SunTrust Park. It’s a truly cool stadium. It is located just outside I-285, about a half hour from downtown.

The Atlanta Botanical Garden and Zoo Atlanta are both worth a visit.

It has to be said - you will need a car pretty much no matter where you stay. Atlanta proper is very spread out, and the Atlanta Metro area is massive. Public transportation exists, but it’s certainly not world class.

I’d be glad to answer any specific questions you may have as well.

What are you guys into?

Not sure where you are from, but the Georgia Aquarium is really great. All the exhibits are nice, but the Ocean room is amazing. It is a giant wall of glass and all kinds of sharks and fish and ocean life. I could sit there for hours just watching.

The World of Coke is also a nice tour. You can learn a lot about how it came to be and then taste colas from around the world.

Stone Mountain is a great place to tour.

As mentioned the weather should be about perfect.

The College Football Hall of Fame is also in Atlanta. I have never been but if you like College Football, I hear it is great.

Piedmont and Centennial Parks are great for just walking around.

As mentioned, lots of spring festivals going on in April.

Good stuff here, thanks for the ideas.