What's on these wings? (aerobatic plane)

A friend sent me this photo and asked about the structures on the wingtips. He thought they were lightning arrestors, but I’m willing to say not.

Since the plane is an aerobat, I guessed they are ports for smoke discharge during air shows. I tried looking up the plane on several websites, but I didn’t see anything that addressed those features.

So, am I right?

The single rod sticking out of the front of the wing is the pitot static tube used to tell the pilot his airspeed.

I believe, but will need confirmation, that the funny looking contraptions sticking out the back are sighting gauges that are used to let the pilot know where his wingtip is in relation to the horizon when flying in angled or inverted flight.

That was going to be my guess. I don’t know though.

Yes, they are sight gauges to help the pilot perform precise 45-degree and vertical maneuvers.

I know what a pitot tube is, since I did fly eons ago (OK, more like 30 years ago, but still) but I didn’t fly aerobatics.

Sight gauges then? Interesting. Although I like my smoke answer better. :wink:

Thanks! I knew Dopers would enlighten me.

Definitely aerobatic sight marks.

Commonly, smoke systems injects oil just downstream of the exhaust manifold; smoke then emerges from the exhaust stack. Airshow planes sometimes use wingtip-mounted “smoke bombs”.