What's on your sub? (A sandwich poll)

Right there with you on the Publix subs, especially their Italian (is that the Ultimate?). Have you ever gotten them to press it for you? AWESOME. Pressing isn’t just for Cuban sammiches anymore!

I think they probably have an Italian, but if all Publix are the same, The Ultimate is on top of the price list. There ought to be a sign hanging from the ceiling, listing all the subs; a Publix one on one side, and you can get upgraded to Boar’s Head meats for a dollar or so more from the opposite list.

No, I wasn’t aware that pressing was an option. Next time, I’ll ask them to do it! Thanks for the tip.
Now I’m hungry!

I have 4 standard subway subs that I greatly enjoy

1. 6 inch Veggie delight on wheat with fat-free mayo, sweet onion sauce, onions, lettuce, cucumbers, green peppers and extra jalapenos.

2. Same as above but roasted chicken breast.

3. 6 inch Veggie Delight on wheat with fatfree mayo, mustard, BBQ sauce, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, jalapenos, pickles. Heavy on the jalapenos and pickles.

4. Same as above but with roasted chicken breast.

Every meat available along with every cheese available. Maybe one or two shreds of lettuce. Crusty bread. Mmmmmm.

Roasted turkey on Dutch crunch roll. Lettuce, tomato, pickles and extra mayo.
Yum.

At Subway:

Roasted Chicken on wheat.
Everything on it, extra Jalapenos.
Spicy Mustard
No Mayo

At Quiznos:

Chicken Ceaser.
Only lettuce, tomato, pickles.
No Mayo

At Cousins:

BLT with everything no mayo.

If it’s a Subway, I get the Turkey Bacon with:
chipotle sauce (a generous amount, the stuff is liquid orgasm in my mouth)
provalone
lettuce
a few onions
cucumbers
tomato

On usually white, though sometimes Italian bread.

If it’s anyplace else, I usually go for an italian sub with one or more of the following meats:
salami
pepperoni
ham
bologna
pastrami

Veggies are usually:
lettuce
tomoto
onion

And then it’s on Italian and swimming in vinager with a touch of oil.

My usual order from Subway:
Tuna on Italian herb and cheese bread with swiss cheese, tomatoes, onions, salt and pepper.

My second choice is meatball on Italian herb and cheese bread, provolone cheese, black olives, pepper and parmesan cheese on top. Mmmm.

At Subway mine are always the same. Turkey/bacon on Monterrey Cheese, lettuce, tomato, oil/vinegar, mayonnaise, onion, salt/pepper and oregano.

That’s pretty much the same thing I’ll make for myself when I’m working at the restaurant.

Ah subs…

Here is a depressingly accurate synopsis of my experiances at Subway:

Subway Guy: What will you have?
Me: Foot-long BMT, Wheat, with everything.
SG: What kind of bread?
M: Wheat.
SG: You want mustard/mayo?
M: Yes. I want everything.
SG: You want Lettuce?
M: Sure, everything.
SG: You want tomato?
M: Yeah, just give me everything.
SG: You want peppers?
M: YES! Everything, PLEASE!
SG: You want Oil/Vinegar?
M: YES! EVERYTHING YOU HAVE, I WANT IT!
SG: You want Salt/Pepper?
M: (veins popping out of head) YES I WANT SALT AND PEPPER! ISN’T “SALT AND PEPPER” PART OF "EVERYTHING? I WANT EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING YOU HAVE THERE! AT WHAT POINT IS “ANYTHING” NOT A SUBSET OF “EVERYTHING”? (ven diagram optional at this point) YES, I WANT THE SALT AND PEPPER. YES, I WANT THE PICKLE. YES, I WANT THE OLIVES. IF YOU HAVE A BUCKET OF CHEW-SPIT ON THAT COUNTER, I WANT THAT TOO!
SG: You want oninon?

Me: :rolleyes: (fade to black)

Here’s what I’ll make for myself, if we have all the ingredients in the house:

Bread: Italian/French loaf, or sub roll

Meats: ham, pepperoni, Genoa or other good salami (not that real fatty stuff sold in the lunch meat counter)

Cheeses: provolone or mozzarella, possibly with some Parmesan that I grate fresh onto the sandwich

Veggies: a little lettuce, homegrown tomato (I buy them from a local farmer, don’t like supermarket tomatoes), preferably plum tomato, bell pepper, cucumber. No onion, I can’t eat raw onion.

Dressing: either red wine vinegar or Italian salad dressing. No mustard or mayo, they just don’t taste right on a sub.

Then I have to fight off my husband and daughter and cat. I have already ASKED the humans if they wanted a sandwich, and they said no. One cat doesn’t like human food, but the other adores cold cuts and cheese, and I have to give her half a slice of ham and a bit of cheese if I want to have any chance of eating my sandwich without getting a pointed whiskery face in my plate.

They have baked Doritos now?! Wow… I always get the Original Baked Lays and a Pepsi with my subs.

I’ll have to try the baked Doritos sometime though.

Crusty bread, any Italian-type cold cuts you can find, leaf lettuce (if a place just has shredded iceberg, I don’t bother, and usually don’t go back), onions (preferably red ones), plus or minus the mild peppers (usually plus; I like the hot peppers, but I don’t like the way they take over), a little oil, a little oregano, and do NOT skimp on the vinegar.

Unless, of course, I’m in a part of the world where I can get a decent Cuban Mix sandwich.

An aside: is there something about working at a sandwich shop that keeps one from grasping the concept of “a little mustard”? When I want mustard on a sandwich, I want a thin smear; just enough to make the bread yellow, with any excess scraped off. However, “sandwich artists” (particularly those at Subway) can deliver only one amount of mustard, known as the “plorp”. I once asked one to put on “just the tiniest amount of mustard you can possibly get on there”, and she responded by grabbing the bottle and delivering a mighty “plorp”. This is probably why I never eat mustard on sandwiches anymore.