What's tackier: see-through skirt or visible slip?

I will need a picture in order to make a determination, preferably one with the most see-though so as to properly make a call.

This. The outlines of a woman’s legs are visible through lots of summer skirts and dresses, if she’s between you and the sun.

While I certainly enjoy the effect (I second Tristan’s sentiment above), as I’m sure most straight men do, I’d hardly consider it tacky.

And given contemporary standards, do many women really still worry about whether their slip is showing in an incidental way, assuming it’s shorter than the skirt it’s under? These days, that’s light-years from being racy, and is not remotely tacky.

Visible slips are for drunken hussies.

Yeah, I’m thinking right now, the vote is Men Voting:36 Women Voting:[del]56[/del] 57

Written as if that were a bad thing.

I voted for the see-through skirt being ‘tackier,’ though really I mean ‘something I’d be less inclined to wear’ purely because, as a dark-haired fair-skinned woman, the legs aren’t always the only thing you can see with really thin dresses.

Also, when a slip is visible, I think it looks pretty.

See-through skirt is tackier as long as the slip doesn’t hang below the edge of the skirt.

But skirt sheerness is an issue. Can see the outline of legs? No big deal. Can discern the color of underwear or lack of the same? Very tacky.

There’s nothing wrong with a skirt that’s a bit see-through. Even if you can see the color of the underwear a bit if you look closely enough it’s not a big deal. Also, the term “tacky” generally annoys me.

Wow, that was just rude.

I’m confused by the fact that most people posting don’t seem to have a problem with the slightly see-through skirt, but the poll results are leaning the other way. Still, thank you to all that have replied in one way or another, this has been quite educational. This is not a question I have ever lost sleep over, but I was curious to see what people thought.

For what it’s worth, the skirt in question was opaque enough that no undergarments were visible, and she ended up wearing it without the slip.

We’re OK with drunken hussies.

Sincerely,

men.

@Eonwe: That’s making the assumption that women always base it on attention from men, which is a little offensive. It’s more likely that they’re being holier-than-thou and/or prudish.

I’m a guy too, and it doesn’t make her one at all. I don’t care if it was a joke or not.

Also, the reason I don’t like the term “tacky” is because it seems spiteful and snide.

Happy happy happy … I’m a man and don’t have to worry about such things. Life is complicated enough. Sorry for all the women out there though. Couldn’t you just always wear pants? No, wait. I did not just suggest that. A world without women in skirts is not one I want to contemplate.

By the way, when might your roommate be out walking again in her see-through skirt?

I think the slip showing is tackier, but for a very close to zero value of tacky - if it was on me it would drive me nuts, someone else…? I most likely wouldn’t even notice

Sheer in sunlight clothing is dead sexy on either men or women (providing the person wearing it is attractive to begin with)

She was only joking, but you don’t care if she was only joking? :confused:

Clearly you know nothing of hussies, drunken or otherwise.

Hussies do not own slips, they own lingerie, which they wear out to clubs, without bothersome skirts or dresses to get in the way, usually black, scarlet, or see through.

I guess y’all don’t get out much, huh?

Neither option is “tacky” in a casual setting. The see-through skirt is slightly more informal than the slip.

Well as a guy I’d have to say see-through skirts look sexy. Visible slips look sloppy.

You could see the outline of her legs only in bright light? That is not a see-through skirt in my opinion. I’m assuming you mean when the light source was behind her. This describes about 100% of my summer skirts.

Slips should never be cotton; they should be silk.

Okay fine…I just didn’t find it funny. Maybe I took it too seriously.

@elbows: Those are strippers…and they start off clothed. I still don’t call that a “hussy”, because I don’t believe in judging like that. Especially with out-dated terms. Obviously women who aren’t strippers wear lingerie too.

@Hilarity N. Suze: What if they can’t afford it?

I said the see-through skirt is tackier, because if the slip is showing, she at least made an effort to avoid a see-through skirt. As opposed to just lazily going without a slip.

But yeah, I agree with those who say it depends on how see-through. Outline of legs showing is fine. Outline of anything more private than that is over the line.