What's that pipe organ music that everyone knows?

When I was a kid in San Diego, I liked to go to Organ Power Pizza. They had picnic tables set up in a room, and there was a large pipe organ at the end with an organist to play it. I’d always request Toccata and Fuge in D Minor.

Okay, now I’d like to ask for an identification. What is the music in Peter Lorre’s M?

“Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doo, doo-doo doo
Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo, Doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo”

Five ascending notes, one descending, one ascending. The next two groups of three are up-down-up, with the second group a little lower. The next seven notes are the same as the first seven. Then four descending and two rising.

I’m pretty sure it’s Wagner.

Grieg’s In the Hall of the Mountain King from “Peer Gynt” - Fritz Lang’s “M”.

When I saw this thread title, I couldn’t help thinking of “In the Garden of Eden” from the Simpsons…

Misirlou.
It was also used in “Pulp Fiction.”

Here is a site where you can listen to it:
http://www.lunarace.com/dickdale.html

Whoops.

Thanks O-man!

Haha sorry I’m an amateur poster as you can see :slight_smile:

That would be the Wedding March from Wagner’s music-drama Lohengrin.
– Uke, too late to be insufferably pedantic about the OP so making up for it where he can

Off to Cafe Society.

DrMatrix - General Questions Moderator

re: the toccata / fugue question, my E. Power Biggs CD has it as 2 separate tracks–1: toccata, 2: fugue. FWIW.

In virtually every version of Phantom of the Opera the phantom plays T&F in dm.

[hijack]
How would the phantom get a pipe organ into the sewer?
But then, try to picture the Phantom playing T&F on more portable instruments-- Banjo. Harmonica. Ocarina. Kazoo. Accordion (yes, I saw that post…hard to believe). Bagpipes. Takes some of the creepiness out of it.
[/hijack\

Possibly something from “Switched on Bach” by Wendy (a.k.a. Walter) Carlos. Recently she re-recorded many of the same works and added on the T&F (D-) in "Switched on Bach 2000. There is a thread going on it right now.

There is a secluded bay on Lake Superior with high cliffs on either side, and usually calm water. A trail comes in from the north - - about a 10km hike from the trail head, and overlooks the beach. I have a back way in to the beach, and a propensity to go there to play the T&C (D-) on my sister’s keyboard. Sometimes I wonder what the hikers must think, after having walked so far to get away from civilization, only to come across me playing one of the great works of civilization. At least no one has pitched a rock down on me yet.

If you like Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor I recommend this cd:

Fright Night: Music That Goes Bump In The Night

There are some samples from the cd there too.