What's that pipe organ music that everyone knows?

I want to download that rather spooky pipe organ music that goes NAH-nuh-NAH . . . nah-NYUUH-nah. Anyone know what it is? I want to say it’s one of those “B” composers, but I know it’s not Beethoven and I doubt it’s Bach. Thanks.

You are probably thinking of Bach’s Tocatta and Fugue in D minor. Really great piece. The first couple of measures are used as a cliche in movies and such as a spooky cue, but it is so much more!

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s Bach’s Toccata & Fugue in D Minor. (which reminds me of a great limerick) If it isn’t the one I’m thinking of, than it isn’t B’s T&F.

Another vote for the Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor.

Given that I’m on a Civ kick lately, I want to encourage all Civ2 players to build JS Bach’s Cathedral and listen to the sample - THAT is the best part of the piece. Better than the first few measures, by far.

I agree that it is almost certainly Toccata and Fugue. I had wanted to download it myself about a year ago. I didn’t know the title, and neither did my roommate, so I just ran a search on “Dracula pipe organ music”. Apparently I’m not the only one who knows the piece by that “title”, as I got plenty of hits and learned the real title and composer as well.

Could it be a Grieg composition?

You mean “In the Hall of the Mountain King”? Or some other Grieg piece I don’t know about. 'Cause “Mountain King” is for orchestra. And the orchestra arrangement of T&F rocks too, BTW.

You mean “In the Hall of the Mountain King”? Or some other Grieg piece I don’t know about? 'Cause “Mountain King” is for orchestra. And the orchestra arrangement of T&F rocks too, BTW.

Yo, Doghouse, click on this.

Is that the music you were thinking of?

I love the Internet.

The website kinda steps on the NAH-nuh-NAH . . . nah-NYUUH-nah part while it’s still loading, so maybe rewind and go back to the beginning once you get it loaded.

J.S. Bach, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

About 18 months ago I was in Stuttgart and I heard a couple of street musicians play the Bach Toccata and Fugue on two accordions. And it kicked ass.

… get the CD E.Power Biggs (love that name!) at the Mighty Wurlitzer Organ and crank it! The Toccata and Fugue in D minor will blow you away like it does that guy in the Memorex (?) ad who’s sitting in the chair in front of his speakers!

Quasi

Well, what’s the limerick!!

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Iguana Boy *

Took long enough for someone to ask! :wink:

A woman in North Carolina
Placed fiddle strings 'cross her vagina
With the proper sized c*cks,
What was sex became Bach’s
Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor.

[sub]Spooky pipe organ music?[/sub]

Here comes the bride?

I was glancing through a music textbook years ago, which said that the title “Toccata and Fugue in D Minor” is a redundancy. Apparently, a toccata is a piece of music that includes a fugue.

Whatever the name, this has to be the familiar piece of spooky music. It’s been used in numerous films, going at least as far back as 1934’s THE BLACK CAT, with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.

Steve Biodrowski
http://www.thescriptanalyst.com

Ummm, not necessarily. I think your music textbook was getting a little above itself. A “toccata” just means a particular kind of bravura keyboard piece, designed to show off the musician’s dexterity. It doesn’t necessarily include a fugue.

What is a toccata?

What is a fugue?

This is possibly where the music textbook got its factoid. From the fugue article above:

This website is excerpted (by permission, it says) from the Grove Concise Dictionary of Music.

You can have fugal passages in a toccata, but a toccata and a fugue are different musical forms.

Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is called a “Toccata and Fugue” because it contains both a toccata and a fugue, separately.

http://www.light.demon.co.uk/bhso/bachtocc.htm

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies, from all the wonderfully informed people on this board.

Now, silly me, I can’t think of any other pipe organ music besides this one, though I am trying to find Fondel’s Wedding March with Barnyard Accompaniament, preferably played on a B.S. Johnson.

I was wondering about another Bach song… all I remember is very sketchy… I remember that it was on a tape my brother had, of Bach songs, that it was fast, that (iirc) it was played on modern keyboards, and I think I remember my brother saying something to the effect of, that song was written to be performed by one musician, but it took 6 to reproduce it.

Any ideas? lol

Glenoled

[hijack]
since we’re on songs, I was wondering if anyone knows this song from Luc Besson’s “Taxi” (a French film). The upbeat, Spanish/Latin song that they played at the opening credits, I think. Ok admittedly not a very good description but I really want to find that song!
[/hijack]