What's the best song off of "Revolver"?

“She Said, She Said”

I really like the guitar opening. And the lines “She said you don’t understand what I said I said no no no you’re wrong.”

Just like real life.

“Got to Get You Into My Life”-mainly because I nostalgically remember it being played on the radio when I was 4-5 shortly after the album came out.

Quick pick (because if I think about it, I’ll go crazy): I’m Only Sleeping.

Keepin’ an eye on the world goin’ by my window…

Please don’t spoil my day, I’m miles away.

Another 6- or 7-way tie for me, really. And I love playing “Love You To” on the banjo, so there.

I went with Tomorrow Never Knows barely ahead of I’m Only Sleeping, Taxman, Elenor Rigby and Love You To. That shuddering drum part is so damned cool and I love the vibe of the song. Incidentally the mashup of TNK and Within You Without You is probably the highlight of the Love album.

:wink:

I think I need to hear this. (Seriously, my dad is in a bluegrass band.)

This might just be the most awesome cover ever.

“Got to Get You into My Life” has the edge, though I love “Taxman” almost as much.

As I said upthread, even though I didn’t vote for it, I’m glad this song is doing so well. On any album without “Tomorrow Never Knows” (or “She Said She Said” or “Eleanor Rigby” or “For No One” or…) this would be considered a classic track.

I chose She Said, She Said, but really, I could have gone with ER, Got to Get You Into My Life, And Your Bird Can Sing and I’m Only Sleeping and it would have been just the same. Although I had both Sgt. Pepper’s and Abbey Road long before this one, it has become easily my favorite Beatles album and one of my top ten faves of all time. It really was the junction between the 3-minute-and-a-bit pop machine that came before, and the increasingly elaborate psychedelia that came after. No particular theme that I can see, just one concise, brilliant tune after another.

I voted For No One. Very few songs tug on my gut like that one. When I was young I would have picked ER. Got to Get You Into My Life and I’m Only Sleeping were also in the running.

I could point you to a banjo version of Within You, Without You, but you don’t need to hear that. (You also don’t need to hear banjoey “Birthday”, “Yesterday”, “Revolution No. 9”, “Helter Skelter”, “Imagine”, or “The End”. So don’t click on them. Really. I’m warning you!)

I picked Here, There, and Everywhere, but it was almost a 7-way tie. Man, there was some great music on that album!

Eleanor Rigby is the standout track for me. My only complaint about it is I’ve heard it so much I don’t really need to ever hear it again, but it is that good that it deserves to be played as often as it is.

Tomorrow Never Knows

‘Eleanor Rigby’, absolutely. The whole record is ridiculously good, though. From Revolver onwards (including Let It Be) is one of the greatest run of albums from any artist in history, I think.

I chose Got To Get You Into My Life because it’s about weed, huh huh [/Beavis]

Anyway, a very difficult choice and really, it could have been any one of 5 or 6 songs off that album for me.

As far as the Rubber Soul vs. Revolver thing, I’m still waiting for the great lost Beatles album that they recorded between Rubber Soul and Revolver. They were getting tired of the Kinks and the Who having all the fun with their guitar-bashing, so they hunkered down and got back into Hamburg mode and recorded a proto-grunge-metal album in one beer-and-prellie-fueled all night session. Alas, after they slept it off, they decided no one must ever know, and the tapes have been secreted in a vault, whereabouts unknown.

Wouldn’t that have been great. Did you ever see the movie Backbeat (netflix link) about the early Beatles? The band they used to record the tracks included Dave Grohl on drums and Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs (?) on vocals. Had a great punk energy playing great old tunes.

I went with And Your Bird Can Sing, because it has two of my favorite Beatles “moments”: the guitar run and the harmonies on the final “tell me that you’ve heard every sound there is.”

I’ve heard Revolver enough that much of it has become invisible, but the guitar on Bird still cuts through.

(But really I just wanted to give some love to the runt pup; I know that Eleanor Rigby is an unmatched piece of pop songcraft.)

Yeah…

Dave Pirner from Soul Asylum was also involved. He did Paul vocals and Dulli did John vocals. Mike Mills from R.E.M. was also involved.