What's the coolest airplane you've been on?

Whoops - damn those italics!!!

Actually, there is another tandem-rotor helicopter in service. The larger CH-47 Chinook flies with the army.

Eh. Mine’s boring; was only a C-130.

But it was during an air show and on a specific C-130 :smiley:

A group of frequent flyers from all over the world, and myself, booked all the seats on the upper deck of a 747-400. It was great. All that was missing was a mirror ball.

I’ve flown a Glasair III. Now that is a wild little airplane. 350 MPH, 3500fpm climb, and your butt is only about 2 feet off the pavement when you’re sitting in it. But when it comes to taking off and landing, it’s about as stable as any other high-performance airplane like a Bonanza. Great fun. I snapped an aileron roll in the thing that left my eyeballs about 60 degrees behind the rest of my body.

Not quite as sexy, but another fun airplane is a Maule M-5. This is an STOL taildragger that’s just a hoot to fly. A friend and I borrowed one and flew it from Edmonton to Abbotsford for the Abbotsford airshow. 14 hours there and back, flying low and slow through the Rocky Mountains, down in the valleys. What a great flight, even if we did get weathered in on the way back and had to spend two nights in hotels.

That same friend owned a half-share in a Stinson 108 that I got to fly a couple of times. I think that one was built in 1947, and had a Continental O-300, which is maybe the smoothest light aircraft engine I’ve ever flown behind. Great plane. Unfortunately, her partner ground-looped it shortly thereafter and totalled it.

Looks like it might’ve been the SeaKnight after all. Woopsie on me. I’ll check my photo of it tonight; I’ve got two or three of the operation with the helicopters there.

/hijack/
And Mobius, my pleasure. Marines were the best part of the job…always took care of their “doc” (even though I wasn’t actually stationed with them, obviously). Out at the clubs in town, whenever a guy (Marine) found out I was a corpsman, I always seemed to get a free drink and they made sure no one bothered me while I was out dancing. Good men, Marines.
/end hijack/

Flown on? A Boeing built Stearman PT-17.
http://www.warbirdalley.com/pt17.htm

Sat in? Bob Hoover’s P-51D “Ole Yeller”.
http://www.p-51mustangs-aliveandwell.com/aircraft/p51/44-74739.shtml

Having a father who was an Aero Commander dealer had it’s perks. :wink:

Dream planes? SR-71 and FW-190. I know, keep dreaming.

Does a hovercraft count? I got to ride on/in an LCAC (Landing Craft, Air Cusion) a few years back while practing amphibious landings from Coronado to Pendleton. The back to the ship opened up and she took on some water (eerie, I’ll tell you, to look out the back of a she and see the ocean coming in!) and the LCAC strolled right on in. We loaded our 5-tons on it and out we went. At one point, we stopped in the middle of the ocean and just floated. The ride was as smooth as silk.

That’s pretty much it.

I’ll second the SR-71 would be cool.

Ha… I have a picture of that plane on my wall…

I got to ride in an F-18 once. That was quite awesome.

OK, I’ve just added another plane to my list. But it was also the circumstances that contributed to making it cool

My old flight instructor now flys charter in a Piper Navajo. Tonight for my birthday he let me fly it around for a while. Way cool! I felt like a pro herding that (sorta) heavy metal around the sky!

I jumped out of a twin prop back loader (?) yesterday. Skydining is AWESOME!!! The plane was short & fat & looked cool especially upside-down after doing a backflip out of it… Jeeeerrrroooonnnniiiimmmmoooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

A guy I used to know had a Vari Eze and took me flying in it one time. Loads of fun, but pretty cramped!

Eric

I’ve flown in a T-38, which was very cool. You’re not really flying until you’re strapped to an ejection seat. :slight_smile: Also been on a KC-135 to see F-15s refuel. Sat in a Cobra. That’s about it I think.

Skydining? What’d you order?

“Good evening, sir. I’m Corporal Jones, 82nd Airborne. I’ll be your server this evening.”

Piloted: Citabria (that’s airbatic spelled backwards)
Rode in, airplane: Ford Trimotor (at OSH)
Rode in, rotorcraft: AH-64A Apache
Saw in flight: Rutan’s Voyager (also at OSH)

I got to go on a KC-135 air refueling mission.

I’ve actually ridden in these: UH-1, UH-60, CH-47, RAF Puma, C-130, C-141, C-5, C-9, as well as a wide variety of civilian airliners and light aircraft.

A/C I’ve been in only while on the ground: Too numerous to mention, but the absolute coolest two were a B-1B, and the time I took my grandfather, who was a WWII instructor pilot on B-17, B-24, and B-29, to Aerospace America the last year it was at Will Rogers World Airport. There was a B-17 on display there and the crew was only too happy to allow him on board and onto the flight deck. He had thousands of hours in the B-17 and they were in awe of him. Made his day, too.

Some of the most notable A/C I’ve been in (while on the ground): KC-135 (got to lay in the boom operator’s station), E-3C, AH-1, AH-64, , OH-58D (Bell JetRanger with lasers), B-52, AC-130H (Flying artillery, literally), and MH-53. I’ve never had the chance to sit in the cockpit of a fast mover, for some reason.

I’ve been inside more aircraft than I can count. Being in the CAP has a few good points.

I’ve ridden in the UH-1, C-130, and the MH-53

A friend took me for a ride today in a Russian Yak 52. It’s a military trainer, fully aerobatic.

I leaped at the invitation for a ride in this exotic plane, but was brought up short when my friend said, “OK, let’s get you into a parachute.”

Parachute?

Yup, parachute. Necessary for aerobatic flight. So after getting harnessed into the chute and strapped into the plane, he gave me a briefing on how to exit the plane in flight if necessary. He concluded by saying, “…and don’t be afraid to use it. If you see me get out, you go too.”

I didn’t tell him that I’d probably wet myself if I seriously thought about using the chute.

But everything went without a hitch. The Yak is powerful, and has some interesting flight characteristics. Unlike American planes, the prop turns counter-clockwise, which produces a right turning tendency. The wings are almost perfectly straight, so if you bank the plane, it pretty much stays there. Very maneuverable and responsive.

My friend let me taxi the Yak, and do some turns in the air. Then he did a few aileron rolls. I’ve never been upside down in a plane before, so I was a bit anxious about this. But after the first two I started to get used to it. The Yak has a bubble canopy, so when it goes inverted you have a great view of the ground spinning around at you. That will take some getting used to.

So it was a great ride, and I’m thrilled to have flown in such an unusual airplane!