What's the deal with people ordering ice cream or soda on cold days?

Ice cream is better in cold weather! It doesn’t drip everywhere and still tastes delicious.

Hey ace - do you eat pizza in the summer? How do you stand having hot, gooey cheese in your body when it is 100 degrees outside?

30F is not anywhere near ‘cold’.

You get chilled to the bone running down to a fast food place so close that the van doesn’t even get heated up… in 30 degree weather?

That sounds more like a problem with you than with anyone buying a soda in the winter, to me.

30’s not that cold unless you’re out in it for hours on end, and even then, some long underwear and judicious layering and you’ll be fine. (says the veteran of a winter vacation in Central Europe)

And not being much of a coffee drinker, I always wonder why people drink hot coffee in the dead of summer!

My mother was a firm believer in thinking eating or drinking cold things in the summer cooled you off. I remember her repeating this once when I was about 8 years old, it was a really hot day, and I said, “Maybe if you rubbed the ice cream on your face it would cool you off.”
My father thought that was the funniest thing he ever heard and my mother sort of “cooled it” so to speak, and didn’t mention it again nearly as often after that.

I’m curious why liking ice cream in the winter makes you “a dumb ass”, like you said in the OP. DO you really think the person ordered it because they were stupid and didn’t realize they were cold or something?

I like hot foods in summer and cold stuff in winter. It’s not like I spend my time at the mercy of the elements.

1. I like ice cream.

2. Sometimes it gets cold (although 30 degrees is long sleeve t-shirt weather).

The two items aren’t related.

Your mom is right. Cold foods cool you off. Theres nothing better in this world than a Coke straight from the freezer after I mow the yard. Or a sinfully good Klondike Bar sitting under a shade tree.

Hot foods warm you up. A nice cup of hot chocolate gives me that warm feeling in my throat and belly after shoveling snow. Hot Spiced cider with rum warms me up too. :wink:

Funny, When I came in from shoveling snow this morning all I wanted was an ice-cold glass of water. I was hot!

<shrug> I’m just different then. I’ve always considered hot beverages mostly winter drinks and cold beverages summer. There are exceptions like coffee. It’s fine year around in the mornings. I wouldn’t drink it if I had been mowing the yard. There a certain heavy foods that are better in winter. They just don’t digest well when you are sweating.

I was cold and cranky last night. The dumb ass comment in my OP was unnecessary and harsh. Mea Culpa

Whatever people feel like eating is entirely their choice.

I’ll take that. With ice cream for dessert, please…

Yeah, I’ve never really felt much connection between the temperature outside and the temperature of the things I feel like eating and drinking, with the possible exception of wanting a cold drink on a hot day.

Got it in one.

Yup. Exercising in winter really does heat you up - you might even be more in danger of dehydrating exercising in winter because you don’t really think about drinking cold drinks as much.

We go to Dairy Queen all winter long and have ice cream sundaes and blizzards - and we’re definitely not alone in there. :slight_smile:

There was an episode of “How I Met Your Mother” where Robin (from Canada) and Marshall (from Minnesota) were eating ice cream in t-shirts in the middle of winter while everyone shivered in parkas around them - I laughed my ass off at that scene. :smiley:

Unless you work outdoors the temperature outside has very little effect on you. I have a mcdonalds ice coffee at work most mornings, the short walk from the car to the door is not enough to dissuade me from having it.

There’s a great burger and shakes place in my town and the owner has told me that his biggest selling days for milkshakes are when it’s cold out.

I always get a hankering for ice cream when I go snow skiing.
It’s like that Tootsie Roll commercial, where the whole world is a Tootsie Roll. Only except instead of Tootsie Rolls, it’s ice cream! (All that snow.)
♪♪♪ Whatever it is I think I see… becomes an ice cream sundae to me… ♪♪♪

Hey, if you eat ice cream outside in the winter, there’s no danger of it melting.

It is currently 3 degrees (no, I didn’t leave off a zero) and I’ve got a bowl of steaming hot soup on one side of me and an ice cold drink on the other. Not quite what that says about me.

heh, at 30F degrees i don’t even use the heat in the car.

Last night temps were subzero, windchill of -24F and i rode my bicycle to a restaurant to meet some friends for dinner and a couple beers. The ice cold beer still tasted as good as ever.

It’s about 3 here as well and I was planning on getting a burger and milkshake after work.

At work we do a lot of catering and send out plenty of soup to offices even when it’s 90 degrees out. The idea being that if you’ve been cooped up in an air conditioned office since 8:45 am, when lunchtime rolls around, it really doesn’t matter if it’s 90 or 15 outside, it’s 65 inside.