What's the deal with Shatner?

I’ve heard a number of people pick on the good captain because of his hairpiece or his girdle.

Why? It’s not as if he’s the only one. What’s so special about him that warrants this ridicule?

Maybe it’s his singing.

I think it’s because under that hairpiece and girdle is an incredibly obnoxious, egocentric bastard. Every bad story I’ve heard about behind the scenes problems on the Star Trek set all revolved around Shatner. He would count lines and complain if he got less than Nimoy. He would throw fits if the writer’s version of Kirk didn’t agree with his “vision” (cf. “Plato’s Stepchildren”, “City on the Edge of Forever”). His “ST Memories” is one of biggest collections of fibs ever published under the guise of a memoirs.

Yes, I know other actors and actresses behave similarly. Shatner just makes is easy.

It could be…his stilted…and slightly OVERdramatic…speaking…style.

Well, shut my mouth. It’s also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

<font size=6>Leave him alone, Goddammit!!!

The poor man just lost his wife in a horrible accident.</font>

:(       :(       :(       :(

Save The Endangered Jackalope! Send Cash Now! If You Do This, I Will Use The Cash To Save Any Jackalope That I Happen To Find! Send Cash Now! Before It’s Too Late! My Bills, I Mean The Jackalope’s Bills Are Due The 15th Of The Month!
This has been a message from the Illuminated Committee To Save The Jackalope. Fnord.

True, dan. Although your annoying font could wake the dead. Your point could have been made in a normal font and without the gratuitous frownies.

Addendum to McFlimsey’s Law: Dead people and husbands of dead people can do no wrong.

If I wanted smoke blown up my ass, I’d be at home with a pack of cigarettes and a short length of hose.

I believe Shatner was the person who invented…pause acting.

Does that mean he’s no longer a suspect?

He was absolutely perfect for the Big Giant Head in Third Rock, wasn’t he…

Shatner was hilarious in Third Rock…I didn’t realize he had a sense of humor at all. Plus, I loved how they played off the fact that both he and John Lithgow played the same role in Twilight Zone, The TV series and Twilight Zone,The Movie.

–Gail
“Predictable, really I suppose. It was an act of purest optimism to have posed the question in the first place.” --John Cleese

Well I always liked him in the original ST series and thought he was kinda sexy too – always enjoyed the love scenes, of which there were many. But because I remember him (and have the tapes) from those early years, that is why I hate that hairpeice. It’s darker than his natural hair was and looks like a brillo pad.

You should remember that the performer and the performance have nothing to do with each other. An actor can be a real jerk, but still give a sublime performance. Whatever feelings I may have about Shatner (and they are gratuitous, since I have never met him), I freely admit that he has given many excellent performances. Some of his work on Star Trek: TOS was amazing–“The Doomsday Machine”, “The Trouble with Tribbles”, and “City on the Edge of Forever”, to name a few. I also agree that he was hilarious in 3rd Rock.

Daniel, how does the death of one’s spouse change one’s personality? I agree it was a tragedy, but it doesn’t change anything about Shatner.

Kind of a side point to the OP…
I thought he was either divorced or separated when his wife was killed. Am I just remembering that incorrectly?

They had separated briefly the previous fall, but had reconciled. The Shatners were married for two years.

Guy:

Your comment is correct, but I don’t think Mr. p bostaph was saying what your question implies. I think his was just a call for the civilized behavior of not kicking someone who is down. Presumably, after a suitable period of mourning has passed, the bereaved will again be fair game for any potshots anyone wants to take…