What's the difference between a Geek and a Nerd?

I think there are also a lot of people who get categorized as a Nerd growing up, that really aren’t. As a kid I was studious and into intellectual things, very well read and into discussing lots of “boring” topics like global politics. I don’t think I’m freakishly smart, but I did seem to be smarter than most of the kids I went to school with (at least, if you count tests like the SAT for anything). In college my peers were totally different, and I had no problem making friends. Nowadays I work with a bunch of extremely smart people, and I don’t think any of them would call me a nerd. Though, Silicon Valley and all, this may just be a building full of nerds.

Are you only a Nerd/Geek in relation to your surroundings? I grew up in a working class town that frowned on intellectualism and non-conformity, so I was a Nerd. Now I live someplace that celebrates the strange, and the technical, and find myself pretty average-- despite having 1,000 books (and 4 video game systems) at home and action figures on my desk.

Just because I’m having fun with this topic…

A geek and a nerd go to a Star Trek convention and run into Wil Wheaton.
The nerd says, “Wow, Wesley Crusher! I thought you kicked ass in Season 5, Episode 6, when you rescued the Enterprise from that alien chick. Remember that?”
The geek says, “Wow, Wil Wheaton. I thought you were really good on TNG, and I enjoyed reading your book.”

Just a little more grounded in reality.

Well they certainly aren’t examples of true Trekkies, who all dislike the Wesley Crusher character :eek: (but fancy his Mum :slight_smile: ).

Hell, even Wheaton acknowledged Wesley was kind of a douche in the first couple of seasons. :smiley: He’s actually one of the reasons I’ve been pondering this question; Wheaton not only is exceptionally intelligent, but articulate and funny as well, and he self-identifies as a geek, not a nerd.

Remember the episode of The Simpsons where Homer goes to college, encounters a trio of nerds, and ends up asking for their help in passing the class he has to pass? Geeks would have been no help to him; they would have just invited him to play D&D with them. (Comic Book Guy is an example of a geek.)

Or am I a geek for bringing up an old Simpsons reference, and expecting people to know what I’m talking about? :slight_smile:

I don’t have a problem with any of these definitions, but I think they’re all very much from an adult perspective. Thinking back to my school days, people were called ‘nerds’ (and it was most definitely an insult) for reasons ranging from simply having glasses to having last years style shoes. The subtleties of their interests, intelligence, obsessive nature etc never even entered into it.

I think it’s groovy (to use a nerdy word) that people who were mocked as geeks and nerds in school have taken ownership of those words, but really, at the time, they were just straight out synonyms for ‘loser’.

He’s said that the writer’s should be the ones catching all the abuse for the Wesley Crusher character. He did what he could with the scripts he was given, but couldn’t really change his lines or the development of Wesley. Check out his reviews of various TNG episodes in his TVSquad posts. He really has a blast making fun of Wesley Crusher a couple of times.

Oh yeah, I check that every few days. The reviews are hilarious.

Going from a poll to a hijack on Star Trek…yeah, okay. I’m a geek. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, it’s an Internet Law, isn’t it?

To me, “nerd” is an insult and not self-applied except with sarcastic intent. “Geek” is a badge of honour that many choose for themselves.

Of course, there’s a relevant Onion article

That’s about right. I would never call a person a nerd to their face, but I would call someone a geek, and feel I was complementing them.

Hollywood has made money from several bad movies by characterizing socially inept losers as nerds. The upbeat endings don’t get rid of the fact that they are an embarrassment.

Meanwhile, Best Buy seems to be making money by characterizing a geek as someone with desirable expertise, who can safely be let into your home.

Still, there is that thing about biting off the heads of chickens hanging over geeks’ heads.

I’ve always held that a geek is a professional nerd. Most geeks are former nerds that have turned our, umm, proclivities (?) into a profession.

There’s a joke:

What’s the difference between a geek and a nerd? A nerd has no social life, no fashion sense and no social skills. A geek has no social life, no fashion sense and no social skills and likes it.

Really though, think Oswald nails it.

Belrix <-- self identified geek and I’m OK with that.

PS: Oh, and I second to that “Nerd” is an insult and “Geek” is complimentary statement.

While I dislike both terms, both have been applied to me at different times. My social skills set is above average so don’t judge too quickly when you meet a nerd / geek.

I read the Oswald quote in Wired and I remember thinking, there’s someone who understands. So I definitely go with his definition.

I tell you, it was a relief finally admitting to myself that I was not cool, I was never going to be cool and that I liked it that way.

Now I revel in my geekery, it has provided me steady employment and I found a beautiful wife who’s almost as geeky as me.

Let’s face it, she knits, she’s WAY geekier than me. I’m into cool stuff like science fiction movies and video games! :smiley:

For what it’s worth -
Googlefight: geek:71,100,000 nerd: 18,400,000

And at User Friendly, Geek shows up in about a hundred cartoons, usually as a self-designation, while nerd shows up twice, once as an insult.

They also have the concept of the alpha geek in the office.

You mean…like,

Milhouse: “I’m not a nerd! Nerds are smart.” Although someone upthread classified him as a dork.

I’m a little confused. Some of you have said that geeks are nerds who have made their skills super-marketable, are making tons of money (geek squad)–but others have made it seem like a geek is a D&D playing/comic book obsessed loser. I guess to me, it’s all about the chicken heads.

I also know that technically, hipsters are hip (well, duh) and cool and all that, but in many ways they seem close to nerds/geeks and the like. They’re interested in bands that the rest of the world doesn’t care about, they dress badly, spend hundreds of dollars to look like they just rolled out of bed, come off as scruffy and hygenically challenged…there seems to be a fine line between hipster and nerd.

They’re not necessarily mutually incompatible. The guys at Wizards of the Coast make a great living selling D&D books. :smiley:

Essentially, hipsters are geeks that just happen to be obsessive about things a little more socially acceptable.

Hipsters get all excited for (as you said) obscure music, the world of “film” (as opposed to “movie” fans, who are typically geeks), politics, cooking and various things like that.

I was also just thinking about it, and as more computer parts are added to cars, in about 10-20 years, being a “car guy” will go from being a cool thing to a very geeky thing. That fascinates me.

The big difference is that for hipsters, it’s all about the image. A geek or nerd may show up unshaven with disheveled hair and clothes he picked up off the floor, but that’s just because he was running late or simply fails to notice/care. A hipster may show up unshaven with disheveled hair and clothes he picked up off the floor, but that’s because he put a lot of time and energy carefully cultivating that look. A geek will show interest in something because he likes it, while a hipster will show interest in something because it’s cool and thus likely to gain him social status.

to me a geek is specifically a technology nerd.
A nerd is a person obsessed with some subject. One can be an English (or Sports) nerd. Being a sports geek doesn’t sound right.