What's the difference between mutton and lamb?

What Americans might not know is that in India and other parts of South and Southeast Asia, when someone speaks of “mutton,” he or she is more likely to be talking about goat’s meat than sheep’s meat. I’ve tried to persuade my Indian relatives to stop doing this, but they don’t care, particularly because sheep aren’t as commonly eaten as goats are. (Also, goats are much tastier)

The Staff Report being referenced is What’s the difference between mutton and lamb?

Yes, i’ll agree with acsenray. In India, mutton refers more to goat’s meat than sheep.

This is something that always made me wonder. If goat’s meat was called mutton, and baby sheep was lamb (as was my understanding), what happened to daddy sheep.

I wonder whether lamb dishes here actually use <1yr. old sheep or whether lamb here signifies sheep of any age.

Thanks for the info, I will add an addendum to the Staff Report.

We tend to think of our readership as being U.S. and Canada since Cecil isn’t available in weekly newspapers outside U.S. and Canada, and the books aren’t marketed outside ditto. However, the world is changing rapidly, and we need to think more in terms of a slowly growing global readership.