What's the English name of this puzzle?

Ah. I forgot to ask FilmGeek one question:

Which puzzles are the ones Games Magazine refers to as partitions?

I couldn’t get that site to load with either link, but I believe the one Games calls ‘Partitions’ is Nurikabe (though I’m not sure what ‘fill in’ means there. Usually you draw a line outlining the - often irregular - block).

Is it correct to say that the only difference between that and the puzzle you describe is that with yours, the blocks must be rectangles?

I have seen something like that with overlapping rectangles, but that’s clearly not it either.

Forget that. I found a nurikabe puzzle at another site.
Now that I think about it, I’m not 100% sure what I was thinking of is what Games calls Partitions.

Here’s the game I was thinking of :
Do something like nurikabe, but imagine if instead of filling in the squares, you draw a line around them (with the number of unit squares in a shape equal to any numbers enclosed by it).

Is that your game, except for the rectangles only (and one number per shape) requirement?
Unfortunately I can’t remember what it’s called.

The one you’re describing, panamajack, is indeed like the one I described, but the one I described requires the blocks to be in a rectangle and one number per rectangle.

BTW[sup]1[/sup]Why doesn’t Games magazine have a website? (Well, in the issues I have here, there’s no website listed in the magazine.

BTW[sup]2[/sup]Have you been to Panama City Beach, Florida? I ask because that’s the place where I first encountered Panama Jack gear while visiting family there.

It’s possible you might find some information at mathpuzzle.com You could try e-mailing him to see if he’s heard of it.

Apparently doing a similar thing (like this ‘in reverse’) under strict requirements, is the Partridge problem. I’ve also seen similar ‘square packings’ for quilt patterns on that site. All these involve solutions for putting shapes of increasing integral size inside another (e.g. take squares with side length 1 unit, 2 units, 3 units … and put them together with no gaps to form a square with side length n).

This is sort of how these Korean puzzles get created, maybe. But it seems they have rather different requirements, so there’s more variety in them I’m sure.

Actually, no. But in response, I’ve given my full user name story in the ongoing thread.

So, I was at the PX at Yongsan in Seoul today and bought the December 2005 issue of GAMES magazine, mainly because that’s the issue with the 2006 Buyer’s Guide (aka The Year’s 200 Best Games). On page 67, the puzzle which I described in the OP is described in English nas is named Partitions. Note also that the internet site listed for it is incorrect–it should be, as noted earlier, http://www.puzzle.jp/en/.

A further note is that Puzzle Japan doesn’t have this on their website, either in Japanese or English. Perhaps they used to but have “moved on,” so to speak?

At any rate, I’m just very happy to get more of this puzzle to kill time (and brain cells) during my hour-long daily commute.

They do now have a website, albeit not much of one and in need of something to make it look less trashy. Their URL is www.gamesmagazine-online.com (it was on the cover of a recent issue and I just found it this morning by mistake). If nobody has an answer for you by tonight and I remember, I will look through some issues and get an answer. I enjoy these puzzles and know exactly what you are talking about (though I prefer Cryptic Crosswords myself).

I was confused the first few times I read the description, but I think I am getting it. May I try to paraphrase your description? I need to draw some inferences in order to do so, so let me know if this is correct.

The puzzle is a rectangle composed of squares, so as to form a grid.

(Are there any conventions on the length and height of the rectangle, or does it change size in each puzzle?)

The object is to divide the grid into rectangles internal to the grid. Every square in the grid must be included in exactly one rectangle.

Some of the squares have numerals in them. Each numeral is contained in one internal rectangle (you have yet to define these rectangles), and tells you as a clue the number of squares in its containing rectangle. (Therefore all the numbers must be even.) Each rectangle contains no more than one of these clue numerals.

There is no further insertion of numerals by the puzzle solver. You are just trying to define the rectangles based on the clue numerals.

(Does every rectangle that you need to find contain a clue numeral? Or is there some minimum number of clue numerals needed to define even those rectangles not containing a clue numeral?)

(Can an internal rectangle be a single square? I assumed not but I suppose it’s possible; it would then contain a clue numeral of 1.)

Wong wrong wrong, I don’t know what I was thinking.

IMHO, confusion only occurred by those reading into what I wrote. As I now have the answer to the query, this thread is a “done thing,” AFAIC.

TommyTutone: thank you for the link.

Are you sure it’s not sudoku?:slight_smile: