What's the Farthest You've Ever Been (from home)?

Home is the Bay Area. Farthest from home is also farthest East: Istanbul, 6698 miles, 28.9 degrees

Farthest West: Sitka, AK (135 degrees)
Farthest North: Isafjurdur, Iceland (66 degrees)
Farthest South: Panama Canal (8.9 degrees)

All the above were done on cruise ships, btw.

Farthest from home (suburban Washington DC at the time): Beijing, China (6,900 miles)

North: British Columbia just north of Skagway, Alaska
South: Cusco, Peru
East: Golan Heights, Israel
“West”: Beijing

N: White Pass, Canada*
W: Pearl Harbor
E: Rio
S: Iguacu, Brazil

* Ha Ha! Couldn’t stop Me!

Farthest from home: 9,700 miles, Chicago to Hobart, Tasmania.

I’m going to use Calgary as my home.
Most Northerly: Moscow
Most Easterly: Israel
Most Westerly: Osaka
Most Southerly: Ushuaia (beats out Israel as furthest distance travelled)

Waiting for an astronaut to chime in…

Mr. Fishfinger: When I was in Muckley the other day–
Dennis Cooper: Muckley? That’s a ways.
Mr. Fishfinger: Two miles or more, easy.
Dennis Cooper: Gosh, I’d like to travel someday.

Home for now is Denver, CO.

North: we changed planes on Elmindorf AFB before flying to Guam and spent the night there so I’ll count that as my farthest North. (61 deg N)

East: Should be in Salzburg, Austria when I spent a weekend there for part of a vacation. (13 deg E)

South: Should be Sydney, Australia where I spent a weekend at the end of a vacation. (33 deg S)

West: Should be somewhere in Korea. I’ll go with Osan AFB where I lived near for 7 years. (127 deg E)

From the Lansing, MI area:
North: Marquette, MI
South: Cape Canaveral, FL
East: Boston, MA
West: San Francisco, CA

From where I currently live in Northern CA:

• Farthest: Rome, Italy 6,150 mi.
  • North: Dublin, Ireland 53.30N (probably points farther north but I cannot remember)
  • South: Cusco, Peru 13.31S
  • East: Rome, Italy 12.30E
  • West: Waimea, Kauai, Hawaii, United States 159.40W

Hey! I just realized I have been to each of the four hemispheres!

I’m going to interject a different definition of ‘furthest’ and use the time dimension instead of distance. When I started my AT thru hike I was 3 months away from home and if I were to stay on the AT that was my way back. On that I felt for the first 1500 miles or so I was just ‘walking home’ and when I did get home I did spend 3 nights in my own bed before continuing towards Maine (actually I did do day hikes during those days at home, still advancing on the AT).

It was an interesting experience, a friend went down to Georgia with me and dropped me off and took my car back home, I watching my car drive away out of sight, then looking at the trail with its white blaze and path through the woods and knew that is my way home and then taking that very first step towards home.

Using N. Alabama (where I have lived the past 25 years) as home base…

Farthest: Urulu (Ayers Rock), Australia
North: Bergen, Norway
South: Somewhere on the South Island, New Zealand
East: Abu Dhabi, UAE (I could say Bangkok since I flew East from there, but let’s stay on home turf)
West: Xian, China

For me, my farthest east and west was the same place: when I visited New Delhi, I was literally on the other side of the world (although in the northern hemisphere).

New Delhi’s longitude is 77.2 degrees East. My hometown at the time was 102 degrees, 10 minutes West.

Close enough to 180 degrees as makes no difference, both east and west.

Farthest north: Yellowknife, NWT: 62°27′13″N

Farthest south: Melbourne, Victoria: 37°48′49″S

From Minneapolis/St. Paul, I traveled to east Africa. Kilimanjaro is the farthest east and south I’ve been. Also the farthest straight-line distance, about 8300 miles from home.

Farthest north is somewhere in Scotland.

Farthest west is Japan.

Some years ago my parents went to South Georgia to see Shackleton’s grave; that’s the farthest south of anyone I personally know.

Home: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Farthest North: Florida, USA.
Farthest South: Trelew, Chubut, Argentina (43°14’49.5"S)
Farthest East: Athens, Greece
Farthest West: Quito, Ecuador. (or may be Orlando, Florida).

It’s the same for me as well.

Home = Folsom, CA, USA, 38° 40’ N, 121° 10’ W

Farthest from home = Bangalore, Karnataka, India, 8,667.84 mi (13,949.54 km)

Farthest north = Nordkapp, Finnmark, Norway, 71° 10’ N
Farthest south = Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 37° 48’ S

Farthest “east” = Bangalore again, 77° 35’ E. I’m counting Bangalore as “east” since I traveled east via Europe to get there. But I could just as easily count it as west, since it is pretty much literally the other side of the world for me. Their time zone is 12 hours from California, which makes scheduling meetings with them hell.
Farthest “west” = Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia, 130° 50’, in the sense that I traveled west from home to get there. But I could just as easily count Bangalore like @Northern_Piper did.

From Boston Area

Furthest = Shenzhen China (7940 miles) which is also the furthest West (114 degrees East)

South = Barbados 13 degrees N (I’m surprised Goa India is a couple of degrees North of Barbados.

North = Amsterdam Netherlands 52 degrees N

West = Honolulu, Hawaii 157 degrees W

Ok, I’ll bite, what does AT mean?

Appalachian Trail

Home: Eaton Rapids MI (“home”, not where I live now)
Farthest: Pattaya, Thailand ~13,825 km
Northest: ~67 N (a mile or few north of the Arctic Circle)
Southest: ~9 N (Panama Canal – I’ve been a little farther south,* but we were submerged at the time)
Eastest: ~58 E (off the coast of Oman – I’ve been farther east,** but again, submerged)
Westest: ~101 E (Pattaya)

Farthest N, S, and E I was aboard ship, but able to go on deck/topside in the open air. Actual feet-on-the-ground figures were ~63.5 N (Trondheim, Norway). 13 N (Pattaya), and 56 E (Fujeira, UAE).

* ~7 N
** ~66 E