What's the first movie you recall seeing that made you cry?

I think it was Steel Magnolias. Saw it in the theater when I was 10.

My Girl for me, too. Glad I saw that one at home.

To Kill A Mockingbird.

Yep. I was 12.

IKR, On my way out, I remember this kid was teasing me “Why are you crying? It’s only a movie” “You wouldn’t understand” I told him through my tears.

Good times :smiley:

As a child? No idea. As an adult, that would be the scene in Babe when the farmer sang and danced to get Babe to start eating again. My friends remind me of this with some regularity.

Titanic, I would have been about 8.

The Jungle Book, oddly enough (Disney, animated). I was about 7. Either Mowgli or the girl apparently died, but got better shortly thereafter. Almost a formula for Disney…

I didn’t remember until I read this post, but oh yes, Heyoka. It was such a long time ago that I have no recollection of the plot or what made me sad, but I do remember sitting in the theater with my parents, biting the insides of my mouth hard enough to draw blood rather than cry.

It took me a long time to come to terms with crying at movies (or TV show, songs, etc.), and I still feel self-conscious about it. That’s why I love watching movies by myself. I went solo to **Dreamgirls **one afternoon in a mostly empty theater and let the tears flow when JHud sang I’m Not Leaving. Every Christmas season, I make sure to schedule two and a half hours when nobody is around to watch **Love Actually **and sob over the Beach Boys singing **God Only Knows **at the end.

Wish I weren’t such a shameful sobber.

It was the bear.

I don’t think any movie’s achieved that yet with me.

Bambi
The MIracle Worker
Madame X
I Want to Live!
Of Mice and Men
To Kill a Mockingbird

Bambi

I’m a guy, so I don’t cry at movies.

However, during Marley & Me, my allergies started acting up in a big way.
mmm

Cinema Paradiso

I’ll second Ikiru. Au Revoir Les Enfants had me bawling too. :frowning:

Another for E.T. I was eight or nine at the time. It made me so horribly sad that I’ve refused to ever watch the movie again in the 29 years since it was released.

[Deleted.]

“Gremlins”

I’m nearly crying now just thinking about Au Revoir Les Enfants.