What's the goofiest car you've ever had?

A 1972 Mohari. It was a small Citroen “Jeep” kind of car that was made in Iran. Two cyl. engine, Front wheel drive, four speed trans, canvas top. It would do about 60mph on flat ground.

Earlier I posted…

I should note that I had absolutely nothing to do with the appearance of this car. It was a gift, given to me by my father and my brothers. They had rebuilt the engine, but had left the exterior and interior just as it was from the previous owner, knowing that while I would be thrilled to have a car of my own, the decor would drive me batty. Which it did. So I sold it as soon as I could get away without looking ungrateful.

Years later, my father finally admitted that he was amazed that I had driven it as long as I had. :slight_smile:

1981 AMC Spirit. Looked like this car, but orange!

AMC Spirit, apparently used in the movie “The Gift”

God, I loved that car. It was my first car, and I bought it from a widow whose husband purchased it new, and shortly after that had a stroke, so he never drove it. 10 years old and 2,000 miles. Although, a mechanic looked at it and said it was the screwiest combination of parts all in the wrong locations. I wonder, if during those 10 years, people replaced their shitty parts with the relatively new parts of the stagnant AMC?

I drove a Trabant (Trabi) for a while in Germany.

I win!

The Niki. Mine was red too, just like this one (but without all the yellow bits).

It was my first car, too. It was great for just getting around the city, especially since it was small enough to park anywhere! And because it was so small, it felt like it had power steering even though it really didn’t.

I had to sell it when I moved to Japan. I miss it.

I had a Volkswagen “Thing” There was absolutely no protection in the side panels and it was very cold in the winter because there were a lot of places for air to infiltrate and the heater was the worst. We drove that car from Missouri to California and then for a couple of more years until we got a real car. I still see a few of them around town to this day.

The first car my dad bought for me was a Plymouth Satellite. It set him back $100, and I think he was ripped off. It was in such terrible shape I doubt you could convince squirrels to store nuts in it.

The first car I had that I actually drove was a 1984 Plymouth Turismo. When I got it, it had 166,000 miles on it. Considering how poorly I kept it up, that sucker was a workhorse; we sold it when it had something like 232,000 miles on it, and I think it’s still on the road. Still, it had its quirks; no one but me could find first gear in that car. And, the driver’s side seat back was broken, so if I wanted it to hold me upright, I had to keep the back seat folded down, so my seat back could lean against it. Ah, the memories…

Second car wasn’t much better: a 1990 Eagle Premiere. That car was a science project. Stuff was always breaking, falling off, acting up…eesh. I think that model is on Consumer Reports’ “Do Not Buy This Car, Even If Someone Holds A Gun To Your Head” list.

They’re rather valuble now

My first car was a Pontiac Fiero. It was blue with pink and green stripes. Not pinstripes, which might have been cool, but big, bold stripes. My friends called it the “cardiac” since it broke down all the time.

My first car was a rusted out 66 corvair…I loved that car, I almost wanna cry everytime I think about it.

An AMC Pacer. Cool car, but most people think their goofy

Couple more corvairs, and a postal jeep.

I’m currently driving a Smart

Lots of Plymouths in this thread! Let me add to the list:

1978 Plymouth Volare*

It’s what Sam Malone had to drive when he sold his Camaro on Cheers.
*That’s actually a 1977 model, but they’re pretty much the same.

I owed a Pontiac Tempest Station wagon (note that in the back of “Unsafe at any Speed”, Nader said he thought this was even more dangerour than the Corvair- but they didn’t build very many.) Mine rolled end-over-end. Other than that a great car! :smiley:

I also owned a " '61 Cheffy Impala, man". No shit. Great car.

a gremlin like this one, only beige

A Pacer, a Samurai, a Metro, 3 Darts, and a Scout. Loved 'em all.

My second car was a 1963 Chrysler Newport. With a Push-Button transmission (The top button was reverse, below it nuetral, than drive, low1, low2. A lever to the left would put it into park. It was pretty goofy, but I loved it.

My third car was a eighty something Chevrolet Citation. I bought it for a case of beer. It had sat so long that the tires had turned square, and the buddy who was following me home after getting it nearly drove off the road laughing. The square tires made the car go up and down, and on each downstroke, something else would fall off. I painted the car with canned oil paint. The rocker panels were a surf green, the chrome highlights were dark green. The interior was surf green and white. Yep. I painted the interior. Never paint a dashboard white. It creates a lot of glare.

When it died a year later, I kicked the door in anger. My foot got stuck.

Let me make it very clear that I liked my Pacer.

The 232 6 cylinder engine was a piece of excrement, however.

But I was able to take all my PA equipment with turntables, mixers, lights, etc. to any DJ job I had.

And I SLEPT in the car two nights - 6’ 6" and stretched out - the car was HUGE inside.

Way ahead of it’s time.

1981 VW Rabbit - Shiney Gold

With a moon roof - That leaked and wouldn’t lock…

and you didn’t need a key to crank it. (the whole “lock” thingy would turn)

And I had this car in college.

Yep, I’d come out of class and someone would have “borrowed” the car. They’d bring it back, but everyone knew that you didn’t need a key to get in or crank it. My car was the campus whore.

I find (disturbingly) a little too much coincidence with my fellow posters.

NurseCarmen, my first car was a 1962 Newport. There was a styling change between 1962 and 1963, but I too had a pushbutton transmission. The car also had a domed instrument cluster, which looked really cool at night with the instrument lights on. Of course, what made the car totally bizarre was that it was coral pink.

Cadolphin, my second car was a dark green 1972 Gremlin. This was about as far from a 1962 Chrysler as you could get. The interior was vinyl, it didn’t even have carpeting. The body design was practical, but it had a very small rear window, instead of a tailgate or hatchback, so you couldn’t fit anything too large through it. One nice thing about it, it got great gas mileage, and was so light it could run like a bat out of hell.

My next car was a 1978 Buick Opel Isuzu (GM couldn’t choose). Not bad actually, just a very uncommon car.

I had a tomato red Dodge Colt, late 70s model. Only had it about a week. I swear I didn’t wreck it deliberately.