What's the latest on the Leaning Tower of Pisa?

The last I ever heard about the Leaning Tower of Pisa was that it began to lean too much and efforts were made to straighten it out a bit… Did they ever accomplish that task? Are they still working on it?

Yes, I believe it was stabilised by removing cores of earth from beneath the side that was higher, the holes left by the removal of the cores slowly collapsed and the tower settled back to a slightly more vertical position; safe for a couple of hundred years apparently.

They were able to remove the huge lead counterweights as a result.

Does it still lean quite a bit?

From the looks of the diagrams for the work it appeared to lean about 22 degrees. The work (which was successful) only reversed this by a degree and a half.

should the tower begin to move again at its previous rate (which was about 1.5 mm per day), it will take 300 years before adjustment is again needed.* The highly optimistic answer is that the thing has been stablilized and movement will cease.

*Civil Engineering magazine, March 2002

I was in Pisa a couple years ago (before this process was completed and the counterweights were still intact) – our tour guide was very clear that the Pisans know what side their bread is buttered on. The tower will always be the leaning tower unless and until it one day becomes the fallen tower.

–Cliffy

Small angles can look bigger than they are. More like about 6 degrees, and they corrected it by about half a degree. At 22 degrees, it would have fallen over.

From http://www.pubs.asce.org/ceonline/ceonline02/0302feat.html

Elsewhere in the article they mention a tilt of 5 degrees measured in 1817, and other sources give the angle of tilt in the early 1990’s as 6 degrees.

I understand it now also has a lazy eye. :slight_smile:

In that case, it should be spelled like this:
The Leaning Tower of Pisa.

:smiley:

RR

Are people allowed in it?

Well, in 300 years, we should have tractor beams and force fields, so we’re good to go.

I read that it was recently reopened to the public after the restoration work was declared a success.

BrandonR: In fact, it will always lean, no matter what adjustments are made. It started leaning before its construction was finished, so upper floors were built at an angle to the lower floors, giving it a kind of banana-shape.

Not to sidetrack this too far, but since people are allowed, aren’t there conditions?

I can’t imagine them letting people run around the top floors, wouldn’t that tip that thing back over or something?

The Leaning Tower of Pizza actually tilted 22 degrees. That is, until I ate it. It was Candian Bacon. Mmmmmm, canadian bacon.
I know, I know. I’m at work, for crying out loud! As the day goes on, the humor gets worse.

Not to sidetrack this too far, but since people are allowed, aren’t there conditions?

I can’t imagine them letting people run around the top floors, wouldn’t that tip that thing back over or something?
World Eater - Italian standards of safety are much different than American’s. I haven’t been since it opened back up but…I doubt there are any restrictions. They expect you to use common sense and hopefully no one gets hurt.

02-05-2003 10:07 AM

Surely this can’t be right? At 1.5mm per day, it would shift over 54cm in a year.

You’re right, Ianzin, that was my typo. It should have said "1.5 mm per year.

BTW the article says it was reopened to the public on December 15, 2001.

My understanding was that the technique used for the recent soil stabilization would have allowed the final angle to be anything they chose, including vertical - but that would have crippled the local tourism industry.

The instablitiy of the foundation kept the amount of work done to the minimum needed to stablize the tower.

Sublight is correct: