What's the latest skill you learned?

Spent today learning to upload a database in MS Access to a SQL based internet site, using Excel in a cvs format…it worked. Boss is happy. Life is good. But have to go into work on Sunday and fiddle some more. If I screw up, Monday won’t be so good.

Also, since owning a house, have learned to do a lot of things that I used to call the apartment manager to do. The joy of fixing a leaking toilet…the thrill of replacing tiles in the kitchen…the manly art of holding a caulking gun and shooting that wad of caulk onto the bathtub seals…the adventure of fixing a gusher - a major water break in the garden sprinkler system at 11 PM in the dark…and all the other Kodak moments that come with home ownership.

I learned to type.

I went out fly fishing for the first time yesturday with one of my coworkers. Actually, I just went to take pictures, but I learned that to catch carp, it’s really easy to do so if you have a fly that’s either made of a coffee bean, or been soaking in coffee for a good while. Apparently they’re caffine addicts (not really, but they eat shit off the bottom, and apparently the bitterness of the beans attracts them…who knew?).

Fifteen minutes ago, I learnt to play Bubbles. Oh dear…

Some Ultimate Frisbee throws. I’m still learning, but it’s a lot of fun.

I learned to tie a monkey’s fist.

I’m wearing the one I got on the Lady Washington, but I’ve made another choker/necklace on my own. Unfortunately, its bright-ish green colour is too feminine for me to wear. I’ll have to find some different cord.

I successfully tied a turk’s head last night, but I need more practice.

Fold

Me too. I’l be back in a day or two…or three…

This week, I learned a new technique in quilting. I had never done the stained-glass look before, and I have just produced a Mariner’s Compass stained-glass quilt. (Mariner’s Compass looks like the compass rose on a map. This one has 16 points.)

OOh, Dangermom, that’s a good one! I haven’t been quilting for a few years, and I never did learn how to do that.

Last year, I learned bowhunting.

This year, I’m learning how to certify backflow preventers.

Next year, I shall learn to rope and also how to tie a rope halter.

Yesterday, I learned how to make my C: drive boot up Windows 2000 after having transferred it into a new computer which said the drive was missing the NT Loader - despite having almost no idea of what to do to fix it. And I didn’t have anyone to ask for help, either! But here I am, posting. :cool:

Now, if I could only figure out how to get the two computers on our network to see each other…

That’s what my post in this thread was about.

I got mine to see eachother finally by turning off the windows firewall. Not that that is the solution to all networking problems.

I gotta tell you, I thought there was no hope for KittenBlue with the knitting. I guess some kind of miracle happened!

:smiley:

The last skill I learned was how to dig food remnants out of a broken gap in the back of one of my teeth with a thin wire. Toothbrush won’t get in there…

(I should really get it fixed.)

… ::sigh::…

I should just STOP using the word “toothbrush”, y’know? I should make up some other word. “Florpsmacker”, perhaps. “Boofentootle”, maybe. “Buttpl-*” no! No! Bad idea, bad idea!

I, much like Johnny L.A. learnt to tie a monkey’s fist, I haven’t tried a Turk’s head yet, but that’s next.

Friday I passed the first part of my motorbike licence (the CBT for the Brits) so I can now legally ride a 125cc bike on the roads!

Oh, and bubbles.

I’m creating my first Activex control. I’m pleasantly suprised at how easy it is.