What's the name of the film set in a future where everyone's dumb?

One of my favorites, and under-appreciated.

"Okay, this tube goes in your mouth, and this one in your butt.

Oh, wait."

I can’t believe you like money too. We should hang out.

The people who did the Powerthirst spoof ad actually did the official ad for Brawndo energy drink in the same style.

Mom and Dad Save the World

Not quite set in the future, but they are beamed to a self-described planet of morons.

The Bed Sitting Room

I only saw the tail end of this movie back in the 70’s on late night tv. It was bizarre enough to leave me wondering for decades, “What the hell WAS that movie anyway?” Thanks to more recent technological advancements, I finally got my answer online.

This is a future set in post nuclear holocaust England, where everyone and everything is absurd.

The Bed Sitting Room

I laughed so hard I scared the cat.

Idiocracy was the scariest movie I’ve ever seen. The fucker is not a comedy.

*Idiocracy *is not a comedy, it’s a documentary sent back from the future. But it’s still funny as hell. (Yesterday, watching The Deadliest Catch at work with my coworker Eric, we hear the narrator say “Eric had been baiting for nine hours straight.” No one could figure out why we were unable to be of any assistance to anyone for a good five minutes of suffocating guffawing.)

Thanks to Idiocracy, I can’t pass my local Costco without saying (or at least thinking) “Welcome to Costco. I love you.”

And I loved how they showed the passage of time, and the increasing stupidity of the American people, by slowly changing the name of Fuddrucker’s restaurants, so that by the time our hero awakens, he sees a child’s birthday being celebrated at Buttfucker’s.

I was in Target the other day when I saw two girls in the grocery section. The one voiced her interest in purchasing Smart Water, and the second asked what was so smart about it, to which the first replied, “It has electrolytes!”

People must think I’m crazy when they see me cackling to myself in the store.

I apologize for my half ass quotes, I dug out the DVD last night and watched it. I got it about half right, I love movies I can not just finish watching but watch again and again while still enjoying it.

I don’t consider it lowbrow, except ow my balls. :slight_smile:

Someone had a thread about what movies should be remade with a bigger budget and Idiocracy was my choice…although I did point out the main reason to remake it is that we are currently living it.
I too have had to explain myself with the “You talk like a fag and your shit’s all retarded” statement. It is the most amazing phrase to end a losing argument.

Among other things, I was struck by the choice of music over the closing credits. It’s “Buckaroo” by Buck Owens. Terrific instrumental, and I’ve often wondered how it was chosen. It added an interesting flavor to the end of the movie.

So, will i be raining on everyone’s parade if I say that it really wasn’t that good?

I mean, come on, the Other Wilson Brother ™ was supposed to play an average guy, but instead he acted like an even bigger moron than the rest.

The premise was brilliant, but the movie itself was dreadful.

I was looking forward to seeing it, and for a long time, I was annoyed that the studio had decided not to distribute it. After seeing the movie, I understood perfectly why the studio decided it wasn’t worth distributing.

There may be a great movie to be built around that plot, but Mike Judge sure didn’t make it.

My wife and me were two of the twelve people who actually saw this in the theater. It could have been better, it was deeply uneven…but what worked was howlingly funny.

Blasphemy, my eyes bled while reading the last few posts. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a funny movie, but I do get sick of people who make statements like “we are living it” or “it’s a documentary”. You don’t sound clever, you sound like a pretentous dork. On average people are actually better educated and more informed, not less. I mean what? You think people were smarter and more tolerant in the 70s or 80s?

I don’t know about the others but, I see the bit at the start where the intelligent career couple keep putting off having kids, while the redneck family is popping them out as at least a little reperesentative of what seems to happen in society. I see it in Britain as the low income family with fourteen kids and the professional family has two, one, none.

How had I not heard of this film? I read this thread and decided to watch it. I loved it! Thanks guys!