What's the oldest thing in your refrigerator?

In mine, I think it’s a toss-up between a jar of lemon curd and a cannister of Kraft Parmesan cheese. :smiley: Not too scary.

Jar of marachino cherries that are just over 3 years old. I moved in here on Oct 5, 2005 and bought them within a couple of days of moving in. I should throw them out, huh?

Bottle of Jagermeister from - oh . . . it’s gotta be ten years at least by now. No, I don’t know why it’s still in there. Well, it was a gift, but . . .

Bottled water, at least 2 weeks old. Unopened.

A bottle of aloe vera gel that I bought in the mid-'80s. I use it for sunburns. I don’t get sunburned very often, so it’s lasted forever. Still works too.

When my wife and I bought her Grandmother’s house in 2002, we found a fruit cake from 1982, I shit you not. The date was on the cake. And a half-gallon of milk (frozen, for some reason) that must have been, based on contextual clues, at least 6 years old.

Right now, probably some sauce or something from when we moved in to our current place, maybe 10 months old.

Joe

A bottle of Inferno Vodka, which we bought in 2002. The peppers in it have gone from red, to yellow, which is the whole point. Should be good for a spicy caesar some day soon!!

Funny story…last summer we were at my husband’s grandparents for a family dinner. My brother in law pulled out a can of Parmesan cheese from the fridge and sprinkled it on his lasagna. My husband, who lived with his grandparents for a few years, notice the can looked old. It was. It expired in 1997!!! :eek: My BIL still ate his lasagna.

An unopened two-liter bottle of Holiday Spice Pepsi. From whenever Holiday Spice Pepsi was made and sold (late 2005, I think?).

Bottles of water. Since money is tight, I tend not to buy things with a self date unless I plan on eating right away.

On our first anniversary, my sister gave my husband and me a bottle of Asti Spumanti. That bottle is still in the fridge, and we’ve been married for 26 years now.

Two unopened containers of yogurt, expiration date August 2005.

I’ve know all along that they’re in there, but I don’t want to throw them away without looking inside. And I just haven’t gotten around to doing that, yet.

I’ve got a bottle of Nescafe Ice syrup that I’ve been toting around from one apartment to another over the years, and eventually into my first home… It’s nearly 8 years old now, and still perfectly good.

I do actually use the stuff… the problem is that they only sold the stuff in a 470ml jug and you only need a couple of tbsp at a time, so it lasts practically forever (as long as you store it in the fridge, anyways). Since the product isn’t even sold in Canada any more, I’m going to sob like a little girl when I finally run out.

I have a bottle of http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/retro-review-3-mad-dog-inferno/ (Mad Dog Inferno) hot sauce that I have had for 8 years. I used some last night in soup. However, to use it, I literally have to take a toothpick and dab the tiniest drop of residue in the bowl. Last night, that tiny drop was right on but it can easily go the other way as well. You really need lab equipment to get get consistently good results. You can ruin an entire pot of chili with a half teaspoon of that stuff. I think my grandkids will inherit it based on the size of the bottle.

Some sweet pickles an aunt made in 2003. They’re still just fine. Crunchy and delicious! She gave me several jars and I’ve been working my way through them very slowly.

For that matter, the other day I ate some chow-chow that the same aunt had canned in 1994 (!) and it was just fine. And that jar had just been sitting in the cupboard.

I’d say the plastic shelves. Those things have been in the fridge since we bought it! :smiley:

I jest, because I don’t like to contemplate the real answer.

There’s some crushed garlic in there a friend brought me from CA at least 10 years ago. I’m afraid to open it at this point, but, since it was a gift, I’d really rather not throw it out, either.

In other news, I still have the first container of salt I ever bought back in 1975 when I moved into an apt. and on my own for the first time. I also have the one I bought in 1981 when I moved here because I didn’t find the original one for a while, and I needed some salt. However, yes, you can correctly deduce that I don’t use salt often :slight_smile:

A partially used three year old jar of tartar sauce. I am afraid to touch it.

Probably a container of mustard or some other condiment might be a year or more old.

Tho we are generally pretty good about tossing old stuff - and I remember my wife asking me just a couple of weeks ago if I though we were ever again going to use some sauce we bought for a specific recipe (DAMN Trader Joe and his in-store demos!)

I have a can of Stroh’s beer from 1985.

A half-empty bottle of tartar sauce, which probably dates from about 2007.