What's the point of Keurig coffee machines?

The cost of Kurig pods is about 50 to 75 cents a cup of coffee. Fortunately for me this extra expense of say 50 cents a day is meaningless and the extra convenience of just popping in a pod and getting a cup quickly is not meaningless.

At the office, if you have 20 people who, between them, want to have 7 different kinds of coffee on any given day, a K-cup machine is the only reasonable way to go.

For the OP, how did you get to $1.67 per cup with the K-cup? It looks like it should be $0.60 with your example unless you are including the cost of the machine.

I don’t have one; I’ll never get one; but damned they are convenient! They produce reasonable coffee, no mess and cleanup involved, they’re fast, you do single serving portions so everyone can have something different. There’s a lot to like about them. I drink coffee by the pot, so it’s really no use to me, except when I get cravings for a single cup right now.

Even though I don’t exactly fit their target market, I don’t see what the mystery of their appeal is. It seems like everyone I know who has one loves their machine. They’re doing something right.

Perfect for someone like myself who only drinks one cup a day. And sometimes I want tea or hot chocolate or iced coffee.

I don’t have

I was content without one. But after reading this thread…I want one!

My choice isn’t between a K cup machine ( I have the Mr Coffee one ) and a 4 cup Mr Coffee. It’s between a K Cup and Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks. My machine is at my office. I won’t use a four cup machine because 1) I would have to make four cups even though I’m drinking only one or maybe two 2) I’ve never had good coffee out of a four cup machine. It would be ridiculous to make four cups of coffee that I don’t even like so that I can drink one and then have to dump the grounds and clean the pot. It would be different if I were going to drink eight cups- I don’t have a Keurig at home because do we drink enough at home to be worth it.

Total agreement, right down the line. It ain’t for me, but for a lot of people, it’s the very best thing since sliced bread.

(Hell, you could make a pretty close comparison to sliced bread. Who the hell really needs it, huh? I’ve got a breadboard and a knife. Why pay extra for such a trivial saving of time?)

Me, I’ve got a microwave and drink instant coffee. It isn’t gourmet, but since I can’t tell the difference, I’m good.

I have one at the office. The office coffee around here is generally wretched and weak (and often left to stew on the burner all day). I like really strong, dark roast coffee, so the Keurig is perfect for me. I buy a bag of French or espresso roast and use a reusable filter. Works great for me.

I like my AeroPress. Single-cup dispensing, less acidic, fast. Like a mini-French press but faster and without the grounds continuing to steep in the coffee even after being pressed.

My wife, a HUGE coffee drinker, uses a coffee maker that uses a filter-paper pod. It’s about an inch and a half in diameter, quarter inch thick. Easy and very little waste.

I don’t know, but they are a great thing for other people to have. If I’m at their house, and I want some coffee, and then some more, and then some more, it doesn’t feel as intrusive as opening their refrigerator, or using their microwave (which might also take so,me figuring out), or taking stuff out of their cupboard, or using their stove. As long as they have the pods right out on the counter.

Well for me it’s simply a case of time and convenience. Not laziness.

Here is my morning.

[ul]
[li]Wake Up, put on the robe[/li][li]Lucy (the dog) and I go downstairs.[/li][li]I put her food in the bowl.[/li][li]I pop a k-cup in the Kuerig, hit the button.[/li][li]Go whiz. Wash hands of course.[/li][li]Just as I walk back into the kitchen, my coffee is ready, and Lucy is through eating.[/li][li]We walk downstairs, this time to the walk out basement.[/li][li]She goes out into the backyard to whiz and poop, I enjoy my coffee while checing e-mail on my phone.[/li][/ul]

The used k-cup gets tossed in the trash, and I go shower. Nothing to clean up, no leftover coffee, no grounds to dump out, no pot with residue left in it.

5 cups a week, less than $5. Not sure this is an area that I really need to cut back and economize in. Will also add that when my Kuerig started messing up last year, I called Kuerig to see where to send it for repair. They said nope, we will send you a new one. And that was months after the 1 year warranty had ran out.

I have one cup of coffee a day, and the Keurig makes us easy. I just got a reusable cup, and will use it when I get home.

There seems to be a direct correlation between coffee drinking and laziness.

Here in the docs’ lounge we had a perfectly good semi-automated coffee maker with hot water piped in. All you had to do when the pot was empty or nearly so, was to lift out the old filter and grounds, deposit it in the trash, put in a new fiilter, tear open the pre-measured bag, pour it into the filter and hit Start. Presto, fresh coffee. Except I was about the only person who ever bothered to take the 15-20 seconds to start up the new pot.

Then they replaced this coffee maker with a machine that automatically churned out not only black coffee, but decaf, cappucino, latte, decaf cappucino and brewed essence of Bulgarian elves, all at the press of various buttons. Of course, this machine regularly breaks down so they’ve had to bring in temporary coffee dispensers while re-ordering a coffee-only machine.

I may suggest a motion-sensor recording that triggers whenever the coffee pot is empty (or has less than a cup left) and someone walks by the machine, blaring out “Don’t be a lazy asshole, brew a new pot”.

For me, a Keurig isn’t worth the expense, but I admit I’ve been tempted. Have you ever noticed that the first pot of coffee made from a freshly opened can of ground coffee tastes the best? With individually sealed K-cups, every single cup of coffee tastes that good. Reusable cups that you can fill with coffee from a can are economical but they seem to be missing the point as far as I’m concerned.

You can get much the same fresh flavor by grinding your own whole beans immediately before brewing in an ordinary machine, but I find that too inconvenient to do often.

It is convenient, yes, but nobody seems to mention that it makes a damn tasty cup of coffee. The straight-up coffee flavors have a rich, full taste, more so than from a drip machine. And the more exotic flavors can be really yummy.

Basically you are paying more for gourmet coffee.

This disdain for laziness is greatly overated

No way, no how. Almost every review of the single-cup machines (primarily Keurig) matches my opinion on the matter - that they produce an inferior cup of coffee.