What's the purpose of the hymen?

Every schoolboy knows that the hymen is just one of those tamper-proof seals designed to keep the freshness in.

And this is Mother Nature’s true genius:

Unlike Tupperware, it need not be “burped” to achieve maximum results.

Also, unlike Tupperware, it serves as a very useful on-board alarm system to warn of incoming missle strikes.

I think Oscar Wilde said it best “no good deed goes unpunished!”

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_226.html … as tempted as I am to simply delete this thread…
Jill

I thank you for your forbearance Jill. While I had hoped to revive an old topic and perhaps solicit a fresh thought or two, I must admit that the mere mention of Tupperware does indicate a certain desperation. Perhaps it would be better to forget the whole thing and strike out in a new direction.
Anyone have any thoughts on adenoids?

I thank you for your forbearance Jill. While I had hoped to revive an old topic and perhaps solicit a fresh thought or two, I must admit that the mere mention of Tupperware does indicate a certain desperation. Perhaps it would be better to forget the whole thing and strike out in a new direction.

Wo - that Sudafed is stronger than I thought

• I’m having triple vision!!!

Kara’s Bizarre Movie Quote for the Day:
“It’s the Amazing Technicolor Cheese Wedge!”
–MST3K The Movie

Is there an echo in here…here…here?

This is tremendously embarrassing. I have absolutely no idea how that happened. . . happened . . . happened . . .

This is tremendously embarrassing. I have absolutely no idea how that happened. . . happened . . . happened . . .

Okay, I think I’m finally getting the hang of this. Just in the unlikely event that I’m not the only one who didn’t know – if you hit the little “Back Page” navigational tool after posting your post, the ghosts in the machine re-post your just posted post. And if you’re stubborn about it they’ll just keep on re-posting it until you get the idea.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress . . . .

I really don’t know where you’re going with this, Crick, and I’m puzzled. I don’t see any connection whatever between adenoids and Tupperware.

As long as you’re discussing useless body parts, does anybody have an opinion on the appendix?

And I know someone who kept their appendix in Tupperware!

Its not junk - its a collection!

I know in my own case (and this was confirmed in some of the background reports on Jeffrey Dahmer I’ve read) Tupperware makes a highly unsuitable repository for human parts because of the interaction of certain polymers with cellular vacuoles.

When in doubt, be it appendix or otherwise, go with glass!

Continuing my tradition of noting how .sig lines fit text, may I point out Ben’s…

A plausible parallel between the hymen in sea mammals and humans is found in the aquatic ape theory, which proposes that humans diverged from other primates through a period of evolution in a marshy/watery environment.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5168/aat_leaflet.html

Kyber:
That link is great! What an intense theory! I love stuff like that! I’m not a biologist, so I can’t really evaluate it, but it really tickled my fins.