What's tutoring like, UKers?

So I’m packing in my job on a career break for a few years to become a stay-at-home dad to my youngling, and I’m considering taking up tutoring as a part-time flexible income. This board’s full of smart cookies, so there must be a few Brits who do it. Walk me through it?

My strengths are in history and politics, but am also casually interested in science too.

What does a typical tutoring session involve? At what key stages?

What preparation do you do for your sessions?

Best ways to get business?

Upshots? Downsides? Risks?

you could make a lot of money just teaching them how to use an apostrophe.

First of all, have you got any teaching experience or qualifications?
Are you familiar with the current curriculum and exams?

I’m a retired teacher and know of several colleagues who tutor privately in academic subjects. They have both of the above.
My own experience is tangential - I do both chess and bridge coaching!

Undergrad in history, Masters in politics. I’m a part-time tour guide out of hours of my current job, so my public speaking/explaining of ideas to laymen seems alright. No specific teaching qualifications, though.

Oh, and I’m going to read up on the current curriculum and exams with the help of a teacher friend of mine.

A few friends have done it, who do not have teaching qualifications (they were university students at the time). It was Maths in both cases, a subject where understanding is far more important than curriculum, in a way that probably isn’t quite as true for history and politics, or sciences for that matter.

My parents briefly tried to get me a tutor when I was at school, but it didn’t go well, the problem being that I didn’t really give a crap about the subject, which wasn’t really something the poor sod could fix.

As to key stages, it’s going to depend on a few things; where I used to live, there were two grammar schools with a lot of competition to get in, and getting tutoring prior to the entrance exam (age 10-11) was popular. Here that isn’t as much of a thing, and the ads I normally see are just focused on GSCEs and A levels, which I’d expect to be the standard.